Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Intercity Executive or Swallow livery coaches

Hi,

I am looking to put together some rakes (in oo) of coaches in intercity or swallow livery.

In BR Mk1, I presume Bachamann is the way to go, although not all listed in the 2011/12 catalogue, a full range seems to be available.

In BR Mk 2, I have seen both Hornby and Lima in various guises. Is this the same situation as with the Blue/greys? i.e. there are Hornby/lima based on the Mk 2b/c that will be too "short" and Hornby (the current 2011 range?) based on the old Airfix Mk 2d? In addition, are there Lima versions (available second hand) based on the Mk 2e/f?

For the Mk 3, I have seen both Hornby and Lima, but am not too sure about these. Some have Intercity 125 on them, so I would assume are meant to be part of a HST rake, however they may still have buffers as with loco hauled stock. Are others available without 125 branding that would be specific to loco hauled?

Any help or advice, particuarly with any second hand catalogue numbers would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Bachmann Mk1s in Intercity livery seem to be poor sellers and can usually be picked up for around £12 each brand new.

Mk2 wise I don't know if many (any?) Mk2 / a b / c made it into Intercity livery - I don't know of any models RTR of these in this livery (the Bach "intercity Mk2a" was actually in Blue/grey with Intercity white lettering

Mk2ds made it into Intercity for sure but don't know that many made it to Swallow livery. Dapol have released this livery in the past (fairly poor paint job in my opinion - I have a rake). I don't think Hornby have released this livery (same moulding as Dapol's of course) but they have announced them in Intercity Swallow for 2011 I see.

Mk2f your only option is for the LIma model which is slightly short (not noticeable to me). Lima did 2ds in Intercity but they are pretty rare to find and expect to pay OTT on certain auction sites. They are also not that great to look at requiring flush glazing as a min to bring up to an acceptable standard - these are REALLY bad without the flush glazing! Noone really does a model of a 2e but Lima sometimes sold their 2f as a 2e.

Mk3s Both Hornby and Lima have done Intercity Swallow but only Lima the earlier style. Both manufacturers models come buffer fitted but believe body shells and bogies are more based on HST versions - will leave comments to those better placed to comment on this tho. Watch out for Hornby's earlier "short" Mk3s which are far too short and look more like Mk2s - only their more modern release is worth a look. To my eye tho their colours of latest release Swallow are not great (too yellowy on lower bodyside) and the mouldings also have door central locking warning lights built in which only applies in later years of the livery. As result I generally stick with Lima ones but am one day intending to replace the glazing (not as bad as the Mk2f tho).

Hope this helps - sorry don't have original boxes to say catalogue nos etc.

M

All Lima Swallow mark 3's are numbered as HST vehicles but do have buffers. They could be renumbered though. Same with the older Intercity coaches but they also produced some open firsts with Pullman branding on, these are numbered in the 11xxx series.

Hornby have recently produced mark 3's in IC swallow and I believe the first, 2nd and restaurnt are numbered as loco hauled stock.

Lima produced Mk2f's in IC swallow and the older IC livery, open firsts and open seconds.

Dapol produced mark 2d's in older IC livery BSO,TSO and FO though in my opinion the colours are a little odd.

2nd hand versions are available on all of the above. Mk 2 TSO's seem to go for more than the other Mk 2's.

Matt and Jon,

Many thanks, this has helped a lot. I now have a great start in putting these together, and particuarly the info on the older Lima/DapolDapol based versions. I may have confused you both a little, as I meant to ask on the Executive/Swallow, rather than Intercity, as I already have a Blue/Grey Bachmann rake of Mk 2a/b's, but all the info is there.

Many thanks again, its is much appreciated.

Andrew

Archived