LMS 20 ton loco coal wagon

I've nearly finished building a Parkside Dundas kit of a LMS 20 Ton Loco coal wagon but to me it looks like the chassis is a standard part and is molded with a sole bar connecting the axle boxes which of course gives the option to cut it off if not needed.

the question is, given that Parkside make a version for each of the big four, does the LMS variant have a sole bar?

also, does anyone have any idea how they'd be labeled up? According to the instructions Bauxite brown is the colour, but no information on lettering.

Thanks

The bar connecting the axleboxes on a LMS 20T 'Coal' wagon is called a tie bar. The solebar is the chassis side-member benieth the body. And yes, it had a tie bar.

According to 'LMS Wagon', they appear to have been turned out in grey but with later standard lettering style. The word LOCO was painted centrally on the bodyside 12 inches high.

With the change to bauxite livery circa 1936 all of the insignia were placed in line along the lower edge of the body, the word LOCO being placed just above the company initials in 4 - 5 inch letters.

you wouldn't know where I might find a photograph do you?

There is a picture in 'The LMS Wagon' by Essery and Morgan showing a LOCO coal wagon built at a time when the livery style was changing. The wagon carries a transition livery, ie: Colour is grey but the lettering and numbers are in the new size and position. (Ignore the dots, this is to ensure spacing thats all). The N is Not Common User.

.................................................L O C O

L...M...S

....20T

N...760114........................................................................................................N

Archived