Low Cost DCC Sound

Paul-H

I had a play with the soundbug last night and as EP said the stock sounds are so-so. I downloaded and installed the Class 108 sound files from the digitrax website and that is an improvement.

I really need to put the speaker in some kind of enclosure tho as it the moment im playing with it on the desk, but so far things are promising.

I need to find some sound files now of a craven railbus. Ive managed to find some VT98 railcar sounds and have installed them via the digitrax Sound software supplied with my Digitrax PR3. They are much better than the 108 sounds from Digitrax but Im not sure if they are quite up to the job.

As for the speaker issue. My electronincs is letting me down here... If I use 2 16 Ohm speakers in series would that work? or is it the other way round 2x64 Ohm to get 32 Ohm?

The short rough answer (and as this is all about impedances and impedance matching the right answer is hideously complicated)

In series Total Resistance = R1 + R2 + R3 ....

In parallel 1/Total = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ...

So a pair of 8Ohn in series is 16Ohm, which should be fine but not ideal, while a pair of 16Ohm in series is 32 and perfect.

The pair of 50Ohm ones in the Loksound 2 x 13mm speaker set (wired in series for the loksound at 100Ohm) come out in parallel at 25Ohm which is ok and very handy in small corners or if you want to use the Digitrax in Farish N scale 108/150 DMUs where the supplied speaker mounts are 13mm and to all intents and purposes "designed for loksound micro"

Other combinations work out fairly well too - 100Ohm bigger loksound speaker in parallel with a 50Ohm 13mm speaker stuck somewhere else in the model gives you 33Ohhm) and so on.

I have a Digitrax in an N scale wickham railbus I scratch built and while I tried the VT98 with UK horns I ended up using the 02 sounds with some tweaks - in part because I want it to sound different to the W&M railbus pair I'm currently building.

Archived