RMweb

The demise of post 1956 Maroon Livery

Having succumbed to a Hawksworth full brake in post 1956 maroon livery with the intention of repainting it blue I cannot bring myself to do the deed. So I'm tempted to give it a heavy dose of weathering and put it in the middle of the parcels rake.

When did the last full brake get repainted in post 1965 blue?

Not an easy question to answer. The Railway Observer states that there were still 84 BR build BGs in maroon in Feb 1971 with 25 or so of these being repainted blue and grey by the September. I also know that some of the SR CCTs were still green in 1975. The Hawksworth full brakes weren't withdrawn until 1978/79 but they all had their corridor connections removed between about 1974 to 1977 so would have had a repaint then.

It's very likely that Hawksworth BGs were still in maroon around 1971/72, possibly even later.

It's very likely that Hawksworth BGs were still in maroon around 1971/72, possibly even later.

Pushing it beyond that I think - by 1972 I'd started noticing parcels stock and other than the well-known instances of green/brown SR utilities, I dont remember anything anything not in blue. That's not to say there wasnt anything of course, merely that if I'd come across it I'd have known it was uncommon

There was a colour series in ModelRail a few years ago which illustrated some late surviving maroon vans, it's been mentioned in one or more of the many previous threads on this subject

I have colour slides taken on an Instamatic that are dated 1972 taken before my renewed interest in BR, and so at the time nothing looked unusual to me. Two show trains with maroon stock (bleached and stained Mk.I's) working along the north Wales line during the summer season. I guess that if passenger carrying stock was still maroon it is a fair bet that some parcels vans were.

• 2 months later...

I thought this was of relevance to this query, it's certainly too good not to share (it was linked to on Robert C's coaching stock group). First vehicle looks like a Collett BG in maroon and the rest of the train is as interesting a mix as I've seen at this period, including one of the very rare LMS cream vans :yes:

Archived