Unidentified Steam Shed Locations

SP Steve

Not sure if anyone can help but I'm trying to establish the locations for the following photographs. I think that they are North West based but other than that I am at a loss so any help will be gratefully received. The first picture shows Black 5 No 44944 in stored/withdrawn status whilst the second depicts 8Fs Nos 48319 and 48723 alongside a third unidentifed class member. Both have been scanned in from slides but the mounts carry no details.

First thought was Nuneaton.

A bit of a long shot Mold Junction for the second pic. But I'm guessing they are both of the same shed. A date might help.

[Ed] no forget Mold Junction the building to the left is wrong, there were running lines on the north side of Mold Junction.

OK, I'll have to put that thinking cap on again .. 8 track Midland sheds with only 6 covered roads.

BTW the allocation info does not seem to be much use for this combination (pic 2) as they do not seem to have ever been actually allocated to the same shed.

48723 was allocated to Nuneaton from 1953-1963/4 it was then transferred to Mold Junction from where it was withdrawn in 08/68

48319 was allocated Saltley 1953, Toton 1955-1960, Nottingham 1961-66 (I have Lostock Hall for 1966 - but think that is wrong!) withdrawn in 06/68

It is not Saltley, Toton, Nottingham or Lostock :(

Rugby?

No, I don't think so. Rugby was one heck of a large shed, actually two 12 track sheds adjacent to each other. There was a small building to the south west corner but there were 3 lines in between - I don't think there is space in pic 2.

Still assuming that it is only 8 track

Results of search for "8 track straight":

ACCRINGTON

AGECROFT

AINTREE

ARDSLEY

BESCOT

BIRKENHEAD MOLLINGTON STREET (GWR)

BIRKENHEAD MOLLINGTON STREET (LNWR)

BLACKBURN LOWER DARWEN

BLACKPOOL CENTRAL

BOLTON (LYR)

BURY BUCKLEY WELLS

CARDIFF - EAST DOCK

CARLISLE - KINGMOOR

CHESTER MIDLAND

CREWE (CCR)

CREWE SOUTH

CUDWORTH

DONCASTER RED BANK

DUNDEE WEST

EDINBURGH - HAYMARKET

HEATON

HEATON MERSEY

HEREFORD BARTON

KINGSTON UPON HULL - SPRINGHEAD

LEEDS - HUNSLET LANE

LIVERPOOL - BANK HALL

LONDON - HORNSEY

LONDON - KINGS CROSS (GN)

LONDON - PLAISTOW

LONDON - SOUTHALL

LONGSIGHT

LOSTOCK HALL

MANCHESTER - GORTON (MSLR)

MANCHESTER - HOPE STREET - WINDSOR BRIDGE

MANCHESTER - ORDSALL LANE

MILLHOUSES - ECCLESHALL

MIRFIELD

MOLD JUNCTION

MOTHERWELL

NOTTINGHAM NETHERFIELD

NUNEATON

PATRICROFT

PERTH NORTH

PERTH SOUTH

PETERBOROUGH STATION

PONTYPOOL ROAD

PRESTON (LPJR)

SCARBOROUGH

SHILDON (NER)

SLADE GREEN

STOCKPORT EDGELEY

STOCKTON (NER)

WIGAN - PAGEFIELD

WIGAN - SPRINGS BRANCH

WOLVERHAMPTON BUSHBURY

of course quite a few could be rejected as very unlikely given these locos.

I would suggest Crewe South as a possibility for the one of 44944. Here's a photo that was taken at Crewe South - it has the overhead lights and the inspection pits.

post-1771-0-08145200-1302539892_thumb.jpg

The background is different, but I could have been facing the other way from the photo in the OP. (Also, it looks as if 44944 may have a painted '5B' shedcode.)

Not sure if anyone can help but I'm trying to establish the locations for the following photographs. I think that they are North West based but other than that I am at a loss so any help will be gratefully received. The first picture shows Black 5 No 44944 in stored/withdrawn status whilst the second depicts 8Fs Nos 48319 and 48723 alongside a third unidentifed class member. Both have been scanned in from slides but the mounts carry no details.

Can't place the first, but looks familiar, maybe Edge Hill, the second is Heaton Mersey, one of my favourite old haunts.

Archived