Mainline Royal Scot

• RMweb Premium

I trawled around, but can't find anything about this one.

I have acquired (at a very good price) a Mainline Royal Scot - probably from about 1979/80 - externally excellent, and runs well at slow speed, but when I crank up the power, it issues a screeching noise, which is evident in both forward and reverse directions. Is this terminal, or is there something that needs to be tweaked or lubricated inside - I have no service sheet, and have tried to find one online with no success.

I think it is a pancake motor, but am not that concerned with that provided it runs, and I am also not worried about the split chassis as I don't have any plans to chip it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stewart

Mainline locos were prone to this. If I remember correctly it's caused by a dry bearing on the motor so careful lubrication should sort it out. Just a tiny touch of oil and using a slightly heavier grade of oil than usual on models produces a longer lasting solution. Apply it using a pin or similar. Too much oil and it will get into the motor, which if it gets onto the brushes will cause all sorts of problems [this applies to any motor]

Jeremy

Stewart,

Have a trawl through this site, there may be some service information. http://www.mainlinerailways.org.uk/index.htm If I remember rightly, Mainline used to recommend Peco's electrolube as a lubricant. My preference would be a plastics compatible grease, Woodland Scenics and other suppliers.

It could be that the motor brushes are worn, so if a little lube on the motor shaft bearings doesn't kill the noise that should be the next suspect; a sound described as a 'screech' is high frequency and typically the motor is the only component on a model loco turning fast enough to generate such a sound. (Don't go on running the motor if the brushes are worn away to the point that the springs are making contact as that quickly ruins the commutator.) Should a replacement motor ever be required it is currently available as a spare from Replica, RS1000, and at a modest price. http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/spares

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents - now I now why RMWeb is the best online resource anywhere - quick and helpful answers indeed!

I tried the suggested site yesterday and it appeared to be mainly about the models themselves and I couldn't find any service sheets, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough LOL

Thanks gents - now I now why RMWeb is the best online resource anywhere - quick and helpful answers indeed!

I tried the suggested site yesterday and it appeared to be mainly about the models themselves and I couldn't find any service sheets, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough LOL

The noise will be the motor bearings lacking lubrication. This is common on ringfield type motors, especially if they haven't been used for a while or are the age of your model. As previous poster said, a drop of oil should cure it - I'd use something thin though - grease won't work that well on these type of bearings.

Don't expect it to be all that quiet a runner though - screetching aside, Mainline locos were always a bit noisy with gear and motor noise!

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Again thanks.

Looks like I've got a job on at the weekend, and as luck would have it a contact locally has managed to turn up a service sheet and has copied it to me - seems that the service sheet says much the same as everybody here, so I'll give it a go on Sunday and will get the body off and have a fiddle - as I paid under twenty quid for this, I won't be losing a lot even if I can't get it running - and a new motor seems to be under a tenner.

Again thanks.

Looks like I've got a job on at the weekend, and as luck would have it a contact locally has managed to turn up a service sheet and has copied it to me - seems that the service sheet says much the same as everybody here, so I'll give it a go on Sunday and will get the body off and have a fiddle - as I paid under twenty quid for this, I won't be losing a lot even if I can't get it running - and a new motor seems to be under a tenner.

I'd be amazed if it needs a new motor - I think some TLC is all that's required...:)....after all it'll be at least 25 years old now....

....after all, after 25 years I needed some TLC :lol:!

Seriously though, the only thing you may need is a small syringe to get oil onto the innermost bearing which has the spur gear on it (the bearing is between the gear and the chassis block) - the bearings are brass and the outer one should be obvious - central between the silver brush holders.

HTH,

Alan

Archived