Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mainline Royal Scot

• RMweb Premium

I trawled around, but can't find anything about this one.

I have acquired (at a very good price) a Mainline Royal Scot - probably from about 1979/80 - externally excellent, and runs well at slow speed, but when I crank up the power, it issues a screeching noise, which is evident in both forward and reverse directions. Is this terminal, or is there something that needs to be tweaked or lubricated inside - I have no service sheet, and have tried to find one online with no success.

I think it is a pancake motor, but am not that concerned with that provided it runs, and I am also not worried about the split chassis as I don't have any plans to chip it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stewart

Mainline locos were prone to this. If I remember correctly it's caused by a dry bearing on the motor so careful lubrication should sort it out. Just a tiny touch of oil and using a slightly heavier grade of oil than usual on models produces a longer lasting solution. Apply it using a pin or similar. Too much oil and it will get into the motor, which if it gets onto the brushes will cause all sorts of problems [this applies to any motor]

Jeremy

Stewart,

Have a trawl through this site, there may be some service information. http://www.mainlinerailways.org.uk/index.htm If I remember rightly, Mainline used to recommend Peco's electrolube as a lubricant. My preference would be a plastics compatible grease, Woodland Scenics and other suppliers.

It could be that the motor brushes are worn, so if a little lube on the motor shaft bearings doesn't kill the noise that should be the next suspect; a sound described as a 'screech' is high frequency and typically the motor is the only component on a model loco turning fast enough to generate such a sound. (Don't go on running the motor if the brushes are worn away to the point that the springs are making contact as that quickly ruins the commutator.) Should a replacement motor ever be required it is currently available as a spare from Replica, RS1000, and at a modest price. http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/spares

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents - now I now why RMWeb is the best online resource anywhere - quick and helpful answers indeed!

I tried the suggested site yesterday and it appeared to be mainly about the models themselves and I couldn't find any service sheets, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough LOL

Thanks gents - now I now why RMWeb is the best online resource anywhere - quick and helpful answers indeed!

I tried the suggested site yesterday and it appeared to be mainly about the models themselves and I couldn't find any service sheets, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough LOL

The noise will be the motor bearings lacking lubrication. This is common on ringfield type motors, especially if they haven't been used for a while or are the age of your model. As previous poster said, a drop of oil should cure it - I'd use something thin though - grease won't work that well on these type of bearings.

Don't expect it to be all that quiet a runner though - screetching aside, Mainline locos were always a bit noisy with gear and motor noise!

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Again thanks.

Looks like I've got a job on at the weekend, and as luck would have it a contact locally has managed to turn up a service sheet and has copied it to me - seems that the service sheet says much the same as everybody here, so I'll give it a go on Sunday and will get the body off and have a fiddle - as I paid under twenty quid for this, I won't be losing a lot even if I can't get it running - and a new motor seems to be under a tenner.

Again thanks.

Looks like I've got a job on at the weekend, and as luck would have it a contact locally has managed to turn up a service sheet and has copied it to me - seems that the service sheet says much the same as everybody here, so I'll give it a go on Sunday and will get the body off and have a fiddle - as I paid under twenty quid for this, I won't be losing a lot even if I can't get it running - and a new motor seems to be under a tenner.

I'd be amazed if it needs a new motor - I think some TLC is all that's required...:)....after all it'll be at least 25 years old now....

....after all, after 25 years I needed some TLC :lol:!

Seriously though, the only thing you may need is a small syringe to get oil onto the innermost bearing which has the spur gear on it (the bearing is between the gear and the chassis block) - the bearings are brass and the outer one should be obvious - central between the silver brush holders.

HTH,

Alan

Archived