Modelzone Birmingham

Guest baldrick25

Guest baldrick25

Noted today at the Birmingham branch of ModelZone, a notice in several places, the gist of which was 'If you can find it locally for less , we will price match' ... there was a little rider that the model must be instock at the bargain store.

The only thing not specified was how far away 'local' could be stretched to include , so apart from their own limited Editions, it could be worth a mention in future if you shop there.

Maybe I just haven't noticed before!

Never quite understand that claim - if you found it cheaper elsehwhere would you not have bought it elsewhere any way, and if you did not how can you still prove its still in stock "elsewhere". The only time they are worth bothering with is if the store offers an extra saving like "if you find it cheaper elsewhere we will beat the price by xx%"

Never quite understand that claim - if you found it cheaper elsehwhere would you not have bought it elsewhere any way, and if you did not how can you still prove its still in stock "elsewhere". The only time they are worth bothering with is if the store offers an extra saving like "if you find it cheaper elsewhere we will beat the price by xx%"

There may be other incentives. Not model railways, but we have used the John Lewis "never knowingly" to price match a local chain outlet, the advantage being that the JLP after-sales service is a league ahead of that particular rival.

I couldn't possibly comment whether same applies to MZ. (Actually, I've found them ok, when I've needed to).

If it's a straight like-for-like purchase I try to support the retailer offering the item at the cheaper price in the first place. They are the ones making the effort to attract customers by pricing competitively and reducing their profit margins. If we don't support them and they go out of business, then there won't be a cheaper price for the 'price matchers' to match in the future, so the consumer loses out and is forced to pay the higher price.

Though I can understand people getting the likes of John Lewis to price match as their after sales may be considered to be better (free extended guarantees offered on electrical goods for instance).

I read recently that John Lewis were using their free extended warranty to get out of price matching. They would only price match a competitor who offered an equivalent warranty, including any extra charge (usually a hideous amount) for the warranty itself.

Archived