Adding weight to Bachmann locos

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone managed to add weight to Bachmann steam locos?

My A1 and Jubilee struggle with more than 3-4 Mk1 coaches (with weights removed) on a 1:30 gradient whereas the Hornby A3 and Brit can take 6/7. Bachmann diesels can take 8 or 9 coaches

Has anyone managed to add weight to Bachmann steam locos?

My A1 and Jubilee struggle with more than 3-4 Mk1 coaches (with weights removed) on a 1:30 gradient whereas the Hornby A3 and Brit can take 6/7. Bachmann diesels can take 8 or 9 coaches

Yes,I have added a cylinder of lead in the boiler of the Bachman A1,as well as other engines . I melted some lead in an old baking tray, and poured it into a 40 mm. length of 14 mm. dia.copper tube ; using a blowlamp . As I recall ,you may have to remove some of the gubbins related to dcc. stuff , removing wires,such that you re-solder wires direct to the motor;thereby making more room for the lead.I also glue layers of sheet lead inside the firebox sides and behind the boiler backplate ,to balance things up a bit .Certainly works. It will now pull 12 coaches ok.,and up gradient of about 1 in 40. I have done the same to Hornby A3s and A4s with same results.

I've noticed at a couple of stalls at exhibitions they were selling bags of small round lead balls (I forget the names of the stalls). Maybe you can also buy such lead at angling shops?

Gordon S made a small box and filled it with lead for extra weight on his 9F (near bottom of page)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/18339-eastwood-town-9f-gets-weatheredstage-3/

Andy

Bachmann's post split chassis steam locos are generally easy subjects when it comes to substituting lead for the mazak ballast weights as these are typically screw attached, also the bodies are largely screw assembled, so if it is necessary to get inside to pack the lead in efficiently it can be accomplished with no risk of damage.

I have done much as Roy describes, and my A1s weigh about 600g balanced in the middle of the coupled wheelbase, (good I would estimate for 8 of their mk1 coaches on a 1 in 30 so modified) and are coming up to ten years old with near daily use, no ill effects detected. The eight coupled goods locos are singularly light, the WD the most difficult to alter as the ballast weight has to be extracted from the front of the boiler after the smokebox has been removed.

If you are altering the locos, it is worth looking at the chassis diagram to see if there are any sprung driven axles. A small modification of the keeper plate to allow sprung axles a little more downward travel, and either stretching the spring or fitting a stiffer spring if weight has been added is advantageous.

Bachmann's post split chassis steam locos are generally easy subjects when it comes to substituting lead for the mazak ballast weights as these are typically screw attached, also the bodies are largely screw assembled, so if it is necessary to get inside to pack the lead in efficiently it can be accomplished with no risk of damage.

I have done much as Roy describes, and my A1s weigh about 600g balanced in the middle of the coupled wheelbase, (good I would estimate for 8 of their mk1 coaches on a 1 in 30 so modified) and are coming up to ten years old with near daily use, no ill effects detected. The eight coupled goods locos are singularly light, the WD the most difficult to alter as the ballast weight has to be extracted from the front of the boiler after the smokebox has been removed.

If you are altering the locos, it is worth looking at the chassis diagram to see if there are any sprung driven axles. A small modification of the keeper plate to allow sprung axles a little more downward travel, and either stretching the spring or fitting a stiffer spring if weight has been added is advantageous.

Thanks for that info re.the Bachman WDs. They could do with more weight and I could'nt see how to do it. Will have another look after reading your info.

Roy.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for all the advice. I will definitely take mine to bits and see what I can do to add weight. If I can get it to pull 8 Bachmann Mk1s up a 1:40 gradient then I will be very happy :-)

Archived