Coates (aka Tetbury Road) Station/ yard

Hi all,

I'm looking for information- track plans, building details, photos etc of the old Tetbury Road (later Coates Goods Yard) Station near Kemble. Originally built by the Cheltenham and Great Western Union (although it had been taken over by the GWR by then) in 1845 as the passenger station for Kemble due to a grumpy landowner- Kemble being an interchange station only. It closed to passengers in 1882 when said grumpy landowner sold the estate, meaning Kemble could be used as a true passenger station. From 1908 until closure in 1963 it became known as Coates to avoid confusion with Tetbury station on the (relatively) newly opened Tetbury branch.

I've visited the yard today with a few friends and we were trying to work out what was actually there- there is evidence of some quite substantial buildings and it's a reasonably large site- despite this, there seems to be very little information on the internet. There's very little left now, some signs of foundations, lots of large chunks of Cotswold stone an impressive set of gateposts and thats about it. We'd love to see some photos if possible, but old maps showing the layout of the yard at any time in it's history (but I suppose for preference in the 50's) or even vague memories of the yard would be much appreciated!

There is a possibility of a model- but there's also a possibility that someone I know will be buying the yard, so it's a bit of a double request for info.

Many thanks,

Matt

If you want to find detailed old maps, the best place to go, as I usually advise, is the old-maps.co.uk website. Just type in a place name - Kemble would seem best for your case - and then navigate the modern map to find the precise location you want, and click on it. Then select a suitably dated map from the selection on the right hand side - ideally to 1:2500 scale for best results - and then use the Enhanced Zoom to get even closer.

• 6 months later...

There was a larg(ish) stone goods shed designed by Brunel, and a signalbox. I have a photo. I'll see if I can find it this evening. It's in my book 'GWR Country Stations'

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi There

Just wondered if you still had the pictures for Tetbury Road station, I would be very interested to see what it looked like.

Cheers

Simon

Hi all,

I'm looking for information- track plans, building details, photos etc of the old Tetbury Road (later Coates Goods Yard) Station near Kemble. Originally built by the Cheltenham and Great Western Union (although it had been taken over by the GWR by then) in 1845 as the passenger station for Kemble due to a grumpy landowner- Kemble being an interchange station only. It closed to passengers in 1882 when said grumpy landowner sold the estate, meaning Kemble could be used as a true passenger station. From 1908 until closure in 1963 it became known as Coates to avoid confusion with Tetbury station on the (relatively) newly opened Tetbury branch.

I've visited the yard today with a few friends and we were trying to work out what was actually there- there is evidence of some quite substantial buildings and it's a reasonably large site- despite this, there seems to be very little information on the internet. There's very little left now, some signs of foundations, lots of large chunks of Cotswold stone an impressive set of gateposts and thats about it. We'd love to see some photos if possible, but old maps showing the layout of the yard at any time in it's history (but I suppose for preference in the 50's) or even vague memories of the yard would be much appreciated!

There is a possibility of a model- but there's also a possibility that someone I know will be buying the yard, so it's a bit of a double request for info.

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi There

Just wondered if you managed to get any pictures of the site ? I would love to find out what it looked like. Did you managed to buy it in the end ?

Cheers

Simon

Archived