Model rail TV

traction

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Link to the site:-

http://www.modelrailway.tv/

Has anybody subscribed to this?

Is it any good now?

The last report I read, really did slate it, just wondering if it had improved at all.

Cheers

Ian

Ok I will subscribe then!!!

Mmmm, what can I say.

As another resource I personaly don't think it's too bad, the video's play fine, images and sound are perfectly ok.

Yes it's a little long winded, I think this may be as it's aimed at beginners to the hobby.

So for any one who's been modelling for sometime it could be a little basic at the moment and you may get bored.

It pays to ignore all the references to Gaugemaster and Squires, as these are referred to constantly, but to be honest most people will shop around for the best deals anyway

I did like the videos on airbrushing, it's just a shame that he hasn't actually sprayed anything yet!!!

Just going through different types or airbrush and the other equipment needed.

Some of the sound is out of synchronisation, which will not doubt be put right with an email to inform them, (instead of the round of abuse I've read elsewhere on forums)

Worth the ??24?

Thats down to the individual, I'm hoping it will keep on going and give more information and get into more detail.

With anything new it will take time to catch up with people who have progressed further.

It also needs people like us(well those who actually know what they're doing) to hopefully point them in the right direction, with constructive comments and suitable material this will only work if ModelTV are prepared to listen though!

I also hope they will drop their own forum which is virtually dead! and link to other existing forums, such as this wonderful place rolleyes.gif

They could actually get a lot of information from many of the forum members on here, if they don't mind being filmed, for one of the episodes.

As an example, a video of Two Tone Green's layout and PC control would be fantastic in my opinion(sorry TTG! but it seems like you amongst a few others are our resident RR&CO expert!)

Another one could be Andii (Dagworth) with some intro's and how too's on DCC (sorry again Andii but you are the DCC doctor!)

Sorry guys, here's me volunteering other people......just suggestions honest!

The possibilities could be very good, how it turns out we will have to wait and see.

I would sooner watch this though than any reality garbage that seems to be filling the screens at present!

Cheers

Ian

I saw them at Warley - so I guess they're starting to feature model railway shows away from the south coast.

One of my trainsets is booked to go to their studios in February (probably Catcott because it's the simplest to cart about) - not quite sure what's planned but I guess they'll want me to natter about the layout - that gives me a couple of months to iron a shirt!

I would like to see some of the content a little more advanced - but aiming at the beginner ensures the greatest audience.

• RMweb Gold

I actually spoke to Richard Jennings, the Editorial Director at Warley.

I did ask a few questions.

The brief was to take a TraKMat layout to the next level, hence it being aimed at the beginner.

I did suggest they look to the likes of this forum where there is so much experience and expertise from the forum members they could make some good advanced videos.

In your case Chris, not only could it be about the cracking attention to detail and excellent modelling skills that you have when building your layouts(I'm sure it helps being a photographer, you seem to notice every detail!), but also as a side topic, how to get good photos from your layout!

Simple tips, techniques and useful tools(or improvised everyday items)etc that us modellers can use to improve our photos of the layouts.......using a simple point and shoot camera!

You could even set up your layout and show where you would take the photo and explain why.......just a thought.

Richard did say he is open to all suggestions, I think it's just going to take time to reach that advanced level.

Problem is they obviously need subscribers to keep going, but alot of potential subscribers won't want to pay to watch videos aimed at beginners.

Tricky one, I do hope it continues though, watching somebody actually building/making something is so much more useful than just reading about it.

I look forward to seeing your video!!

Cheers

Ian

I was thinking of giving it a go as pics can only show you so much

I remember watching a drooling over teh Peco one from many many years ago, who;d have thought it back then, there was only really those three Peco Videos, now look at the choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I was one of the early subscribers. I though for ??2 per month I would give it a go. I do like the idea and would be an enthusiastic viewer but the content, with few exceptions does leave a lot to be desired. I suppose they are working on a budget but the fact that the last time any new content was uploaded was 10 November is starting to get a little irritating. Their promotional video does say that they will be adding new content every week.

Let's hope they get their act together, as one of you said, all they have to do is ask and I am sure there will be plenty of willing helpers...

Ralph:(

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few more videos have been added in the last few weeks.

Just watched the Q&A session Part One with Nigel Overington(R.I.P) and Simon Kohler.

Very interesting it was too.

Gives a good explanation on why they can't build a Blue Pullman, yes Nigel did ask him.

I thought it was very good, I hope they do the same sort of thing with the guys at Bachmann and Dapol.

Seems to be getting better all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new video interviewing Chris Nevard with/about Catcott Burtle is now showing.

Very good it was to.

I like the way you did the canal, using PVA, not seen that before most folks only use varnish.

Would be good to see the layout in the flesh, looks fantastic.

Cheers

Ian

The new video interviewing Chris Nevard with/about Catcott Burtle is now showing.

Very good it was to.

I like the way you did the canal, using PVA, not seen that before most folks only use varnish.

Would be good to see the layout in the flesh, looks fantastic.

Cheers

Ian

I have been critical of MRTV in the past but I must admit this is a good video - well done more of the same please!

Ralph:)

Archived