Disappointing reporting in Model Rail

OldNick

The latest issue has a review of the new Graham Farish N gauge 10t Meat Van - a nice looking little model. The review states it has 'detachable couplers in NEM pockets'.

Given the interest at present being shown in improving the couplings in N gauge, not least by Graham Farish, it's more than a little disappointing to discover that the model in fact comes with non0detachable couplers in a fixed coupling box. This has now been confirmed by Graham Farish staff.

Does this mean that reviews are now carried out by (mis-)reading press releases rather than by examining the models themselves?

Poor show.

You have recorded an error of fact which may have been based on a visual check; something I'm sure they would correct with a subsequent errata if you were to contact them directly (you did do that that in addition to placing a criticism here?). I don't think it's that grievous or worthy of such maligning generalised comments?

The latest issue has a review of the new Graham Farish N gauge 10t Meat Van - a nice looking little model. The review states it has 'detachable couplers in NEM pockets'.

Given the interest at present being shown in improving the couplings in N gauge, not least by Graham Farish, it's more than a little disappointing to discover that the model in fact comes with non0detachable couplers in a fixed coupling box. This has now been confirmed by Graham Farish staff.

Does this mean that reviews are now carried out by (mis-)reading press releases rather than by examining the models themselves?

Poor show.

Sounds like the same complaint that was made in an an e-mail to Ben (he mentioned the wording to me and it sounds remarkably similar). Hey, someone slipped up. Probably it's an instance where an old information panel was typed over, and that particular line got missed. A bit careless, yes, but it hardly warrants airing here, when the complaint has already been made direct to the Editor and dealt with. Nothing like a bit of good old public stirring!

CHRIS LEIGH

Does this mean that reviews are now carried out by (mis-)reading press releases rather than by examining the models themselves.

Not entirely sure what you're basing that on. Regardless, I find the reviews in MR far more useful and open (especially about a model's downsides) than their competitors'

A bit careless, yes, but it hardly warrants airing here, when the complaint has already been made direct to the Editor and dealt with. Nothing like a bit of good old public stirring!

CHRIS LEIGH

And on that note and to spare any more stirring this is now locked.

Archived