Locos abandoned in a roundhouse in Brazil

Welly

Interesting, not least because the diesels are both metre gauge (e.g. GMD G12 no. 3681) and 1600mm broad gauge (e.g. LEW DE I 7779). The shot inside the shed appears to show mixed-gauge track.

For me Campinas (or "Camping Gas") turned out to be an extremely frustrating place. The first difficulty was trying to find budget accommodation "on spec" ("motel" means something different in Brazil), since there is no tourist industry to speak of. However the biggest headache was that on both my visits (1992 and 1994) station security was very tight and I was denied access to the platforms, let alone a stabling point adjacent to it. On my first visit there was a tantalising variety of vintage electric traction around the station, including one of the famous "Little Joe" locomotives that were built for the USSR but never delivered, as well as a much older US-built boxcab. I was reduced to a less than perfect vantage point on a busy flyover near the station. I don't recall seeing any metre gauge stock in the area, so am surprised to see how neat the depot (with its metre gauge) is to the station from Spamcan's link.

The other thing I remember from that first visit was a car full of young people that had crashed and rolled over in an underpass.

Archived