How to repair drive shaft on Graham Farish class 31?

Ive just bought a Poole era GF class 31 from eBay - all well for a few days, but then one bogie stopped receiving power from the drive shaft. Upon partially disassembling, two things happened:

firstly the brush assembly dropped out onto the carpet along with 2 small nuts and I have no idea how to reassemble this section (or indeed whether I have lost any 'bits' and secondly it seems that the spring that links the armature to the drive shaft has broken.

I can buy a new spring from BR Lines, but my questions are:

1. I have no idea how to remove the armature/drive shaft from the metal chassis as its seems firmly wedged in and I dont want to to damage things further.

2. If I can remove the armature/drive shaft sections how does one force the spring onto the drive shaft so that it has enough 'grip' to transfer torque form the armature

3. Does anyone know how the brush assembly goes back together and where the 2 mysterious nuts go?!

Ive searched the forum and elsewhere with no success, so any advice would be very much appreciated!

Best wishes, Phil.

I would guess the nuts you've removed are the two small ones that fit into the chassis casting but the description is unclear to say the least.

To put the brushes into the Poole chassis you assemble it then fit the brush, then the spring then the clip through the holes top and bottom. It'll then need running in a bit as you'll never get the brush exactly the same angle and rotation as it came out.

If it has a spring drive it will be a very late Poole and the chances are that if the spring isn't gripping the last thing you want to do is force anything, you need to work out why the bogie is jamming (eg gear faults, dirt etc - probably split gears) and work systematically. Fix any gears in the bogie then sort the mechanism out and undo whatever you did, then fit the brushes and springs and test.

Alternatively BR Lines do repairs.

Thanks for this and apologies - re-reading I realise I hadn't been as clear as I might - the spring itself is broken which is the cause of the bogie not being powered - motor is fine, as is the bogie (no jams etc) - but broken spring means armature rotates (with half the broken spring on it) but doesn't rotate drive shaft to worm gear/bogie (with the other half of the broken spring on it.

I will take a few pictures tomorrow which should make things clearer, but if I can replace the spring then that avoids the need to send the whole thing off to BR Lines.

Thanks for the info on the nuts - I now realise where they came from :rolleyes:

Archived