Electrofrog code 75 diamond crossing

GreenDiesel001

This message is for Miss Prism please or anyone who can help.

Miss Prism helped me wire up my 00 gauge model of Kings Lynn passenger station. All my points are Electrofrog code 100.

This proved very rewarding and the layout now mainly runs a treat.

EXCEPT that is for 3 insulfrog diamond crossings I have.

I recently purchased a code 75 Electrofrog diamond crossing and if this improves the running across these diamonds I will replace the other 2.

I do notice that although this is marked as Electrofrog it still has small plastic inserts in the rails near the frogs. Why is this please?

Please would you help me wire this into the existing track layout?

Thanks in anticipation,

Jeff

I have had a look at the other thread and got the track diagram. I assume that you are not using common return since I cannot find a clear diagram of what your current wiring is. I also cannot see how your control sections are configured so I am just assuming maximum flexibility which might be overcomplicating things a bit.

Wiring crossings is much like wiring double slips so if you are happy with your double slip that will make a good basis to start.

post-7495-0-34604900-1304024135_thumb.gif

I have labelled the various crossings and indicated which points they should be controlled by. I have assumed that point 'A' is the main line and will form the primary route with points along this route controlling the polarity of the crossings. If the points are all interlocked to prevent a conflicting route through the crossing it should not matter which points are used.

Crossing 'X' is controlled by the left hand end of double slip 'C'

Crossing 'Y' is controlled by point 'D'

Crossing 'Z' is controlled by point 'B'

Each crossing will need a four pole switch operated in conjunction with it's controlling point, or perhaps a relay, and insulated joiners on all eight rails.

Diagrams of each crossing to appear in the next post.

Here is the diagram for crossing X. You should be able to work out how to do the others easily enough. The bottom switch pole will not be required if both lines through the crossing are from the same feed, but I suspect this will not be the case.

post-7495-0-27414800-1304208297_thumb.gif

Many thanks Susie.

I'm just waiting a short livefrog crossing x to replace the insulfrog as it is the easiest to get at.

I'm going to isolate the whole thing initially and add temporary feeds to try it out.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Jeff

It will save a bit of wiring if you don't isolate the common return outer rail since it connects to the common return at both ends.

The feed outer rail is a different matter though because it may need to be fed from different feeds depending on how your feed wiring is configured.

It will save a bit of wiring if you don't isolate the common return outer rail since it connects to the common return at both ends.

The feed outer rail is a different matter though because it may need to be fed from different feeds depending on how your feed wiring is configured.

Hi Suzie.

Sorry but I have installed the diamond crossing with all rails isolated.

Unfortunately I have a problem in that only 75% of it works.

I am installing it using a DPDT switch with centre off.

Would it be possible for you to provide a drawing of how the wiring should be please?

My top rails are the +ve and the bottom rails the common.

Thanks in anticipation,

Jeff

Here is the diagram for crossing X. You should be able to work out how to do the others easily enough. The bottom switch pole will not be required if both lines through the crossing are from the same feed, but I suspect this will not be the case.

post-7495-0-27414800-1304208297_thumb.gif

This is the diagram. You can only use the double pole switch if both routes through the crossing are from the same feed because the minimum you need to switch is the two frogs. You do not need to switch the return but you will need to link across one of the joiners adjacent to the return. If the two routes are from different feeds then you will need an extra pole on the switch to switch between the different feeds.

Hi Suzie

Everything is working fine now.

It appears the switch is redundant but probably means both lines will be powered at the same time.

I'll check this out and if needs be I'll change the wiring but for the moment I'll enjoy having a layout that operates.

I have another 2 diamond crossings to replace and I'll follow your diagram.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Jeff Rippon

Archived