The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Printer Recomendations

Simon Lee

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Never had much luck with computer printers, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations please.

Main usage is printing documents and info/photos off the web, but Im hoping eventually to start scanning my own prints and slides and printing a few of the better ones.

Currently have an Epson DX4400, which has started banding on images, and nothing I do seems to cure it. Plus the Epsom ink cartridges don't seem to last very long.

Any advice greatfully received !!

Thanks

Simon

The main thing I'd say is: unless you are using it regularly or really really need photo quality printing, buy a laserjet, not an inkjet. Inkjets dry out fast, burn through ink like there's no tomorrow, and if left for too long dry out. Laserjets last for ages (the toner's already dry so time makes little difference), last forever (at least the better ones - for black and white there is still little to beat a fifteen year old HP laserjet), and have toner lifetimes in the thousands of pages.

Even colour multifunction ones are quite reasonable prices these days.

However, if you require photo quality printing all the time, then you'll have to live with the drawbacks of an inkjet. If you only want photo quality every now and then you're better taking it to a copy shop (or the self service machines, or using a online service) to print them for you - for the odd set of photos a few times a year it's fairly cheap.

Archived