Granite work tops

In Poundland again, the 10X8 approx granite chopping blocks, about 5/8 thick, appears solid, not composition, with a polished and very flat front surface. Suitable for simple surface plate use, to provide a stable and durable work surface for chassis assembly, testing frames and wheels, coach and stock assembly, even point assembly.

I tested the flatness, and it was within a half thousandth of an inch overall, poor against a top quality test surface plate, but excellent for usual model railway use.......the price?? read the first words.........

• RMweb Gold

Sounds good, for a while now I've been using a sample from when we had some granite worktops fitted at work, it's about 4" square and that's about right for wagons and 0-6-0's. Granite worktops are only good for breaking things in the kitchen, they're great in the railway room.

Shot of the block, I am adding an mdf wood backing piece and hard wood edging with mitred corners to make it a touch bigger. Granite should be able to take modest heat, so should stand normal soldering on it.

Stephen.

Archived