The North Devon Railway

7029cluncastle

Well after introducing myself (and my layout) i thought i would put it n here. I will say, progress is very slow usually, unless its a stock update, but this should hopefully change once i have finished paying for the latest loco from my place of work (Shrewsbury Model Centre)

Anyway, welcome to the North Devon Railway! This line originally ran from Exeter to Lynton via Okehampton. It was opened by the GWR in 1885 originally as broad gauge. The line ran from Exeter to Lynton via a short diversion into Okehampton (the GWR keeping up appearances) the line ran as duel gauge from 1895 till the end of the broad gauge era. It was quite a busy line and pretty much linked up with lynton and barnstaple railway. It started to lose income soon after the second world war and passenger services finished on 23rd febuary 1955. The freight services continued until 1969 and the line was closed. The stations were left to fall apart and the trackbed sold off. Before long the Okehampton and Exmoor railway society moved into the old terminus at Okehampton and have been slowly restoring it to its former glory. Today the society own the track north towards Lynton and are progressing towards opening the full Okehampton to Lynton section as soon as possible.

This year is my railway collections 15th Anniversary (since recieveing my first set when i was 2) so this year has been full of jam packed events so far, as my railway is preserved i have been known to lay on several galas involving different locos from my collection. I will load photos soon but at the moment there isnt much to see, just my extensive range of stock. By september i hope to have some more boards up to run trains round the corner from the current (and temporary station) which is at the end of the main Okehampton West loop, so my trains do not have to run top and tailed or in push pull format. As i am on holiday at the moemnet i have bought some more stock! :rolleyes: First off, today i bought a Bachmann 3mt tank, 82030 in BR green, this will become 82045 in the near future. Next up is class 25 D7672 Tamworth Castle, which i found second hand t Minehead Station on the West Somerset Railway yesterday. The rest of the purchases are a Tri-ang Rocket coch (still in its box, complete! it even has the original tape that it was sealed with), a Hornby Maunsell Composite brake coach and a Bachmann box van (this will b stripped of its paintwork and will be painted brown with LWSR on the side)

Thats it for now. Hope you didnt get too bored reading that! :lol:

Kenny

Archived