N gauge inspiration

simon1969

Hello i am looking for some inspiration, i plan on building a n gauge modern image running virgin voyagers and stone, oil and container desel hauled freight i have space for an l shaped layout measureing 9x9x3 and am looking for it to be on 2 or 3 layers ideally with plenty of room for scenery it will be fully dcc and would like it to be a semi continuous circuit with at least one station i did have in mind the station to somewhat similar to lancaster with 2 central through lines but minus bay platforms. any suggestions and ideas would be gratefully received as i have now spent several weeks drawing up plans on xtrakcad only to delete them due to complications

thank you simon

My inspiration was Littlewood in 2006

Later that year I made the effort to attend the N Gauge Show, specifically to see this layout (and just as well as it was it last year at exhibitions)

Although my layout is about the same length it is a U shape to fit the room available

Over the following year the design changed, and even earlier this year during final construction the design changed again!

The major issue with layers is that most UK models (motors) don't like gradients

The test I performed showed 1:30 was the maximum

I therefore designed the layout with 1:35 gradients

The next issue were the transitions, some models don't like these, and this is my next project before the ballast is completed

I also found the BachFar HHA wagons don't like gradients either

It has been suggested the bogies/wheels foul the bodywork, but I could not find any evidence and I suspect it is simply their weight in comparison to the other rolling stock

The next limit was the size of the shortest track in my fiddle yards, and this is used to determine maximum train lengths

This has ended up as a loco and 15 container wagons (but could be longer with careful planning)

My inspiration was Littlewood in 2006

Later that year I made the effort to attend the N Gauge Show, specifically to see this layout (and just as well as it was it last year at exhibitions)

Although my layout is about the same length it is a U shape to fit the room available

Over the following year the design changed, and even earlier this year during final construction the design changed again!

The major issue with layers is that most UK models (motors) don't like gradients

The test I performed showed 1:30 was the maximum

I therefore designed the layout with 1:35 gradients

The next issue were the transitions, some models don't like these, and this is my next project before the ballast is completed

I also found the BachFar HHA wagons don't like gradients either

It has been suggested the bogies/wheels foul the bodywork, but I could not find any evidence and I suspect it is simply their weight in comparison to the other rolling stock

The next limit was the size of the shortest track in my fiddle yards, and this is used to determine maximum train lengths

This has ended up as a loco and 15 container wagons (but could be longer with careful planning)

thank you for that i had been trying to work out the plan i had in mind a 4 track circuit commencing from the station with it splitting into 2 two track circuits before combining back into 4 track prior to re-entering the station in my mind the station would be on the leadind edge of the baseboard with a small mpd behind it

Archived