GWR C.80 Full Third - Burry Port & Gwendrath Valley

I'm currently attempting to build a C.80 full third and add a further older time period to my BP&GV model bits. It's a bit of an elusive coach, being unique but I've got some photos including a nice side on shot in Part II of Russell (Great Western Coaches), and an angled shot of the other side in The BP&GV Railway and its Antecedant Canals pt 2. So far I have drawn up diagrams of the sides, and much of the ends plus the roof arc

I'm short a few bits of info:

The first is the body width at the bottom. I know its 8'8" on the upper flat section but it does have a bit of a tumbleunder to the floor and buffer beam.

The second is what was written on the left and on the solarbar between the last two compartments.

The final one is on the underframe. The one side has a pair of standard GWR battery boxes each end, the other a generator, and the brakes are arranged conventionally. There is however something else lurking behind the battery box in Fig 417 in Russell. Anyone know what it is - Stones regulator box perhaps ?

I'm currently attempting to build a C.80 full third and add a further older time period to my BP&GV model bits. It's a bit of an elusive coach, being unique but I've got some photos including a nice side on shot in Part II of Russell (Great Western Coaches), and an angled shot of the other side in The BP&GV Railway and its Antecedant Canals pt 2. So far I have drawn up diagrams of the sides, and much of the ends plus the roof arc

I'm short a few bits of info:

The first is the body width at the bottom. I know its 8'8" on the upper flat section but it does have a bit of a tumbleunder to the floor and buffer beam.

Probably about 8', similar to Dean era coaches.

The second is what was written on the left and on the solarbar between the last two compartments.

The left hand end of the sole bar has the coach overall dimensions and weight, so a C82 Hawksworth corridor third has "66-8 X 8-11 33T 8C" The T & C are slightly superscript in position but the same size. That is the length over the buffers and the width over the body, but not the handles. So for the C80 it would be "57-11 1/2 x 8-8" I'm not sure of the Tare but I guess it would be a little under 30 tons.

Do you have the Harris book? It refers to one appearing at Tredegar, 3 at Trecwn, RN and later filmed at Bath Green Park in 1965. Plus a nice photos of 1325, 1329 & 1326 with pannier 1618 at BP.

Probably about 8', similar to Dean era coaches.

The left hand end of the sole bar has the coach overall dimensions and weight, so a C82 Hawksworth corridor third has "66-8 X 8-11 33T 8C" The T & C are slightly superscript in position but the same size. That is the length over the buffers and the width over the body, but not the handles. So for the C80 it would be "57-11 1/2 x 8-8" I'm not sure of the Tare but I guess it would be a little under 30 tons.

Do you have the Harris book? It refers to one appearing at Tredegar, 3 at Trecwn, RN and later filmed at Bath Green Park in 1965. Plus a nice photos of 1325, 1329 & 1326 with pannier 1618 at BP.

Ok 8' was my working guess. It looks about right from the buffer beam. The left side writing also fits and the general form is rather handy to know for other coaches. The right side one is something else - fortunately I'll get away with a white squiggle in 2mm

I don't have the Harris book - have to investigate that - thanks.

ChrisF: An MRC drawing would be fantastic as I've not found anything much in the drawing realm for this coach or the brakes.

Alan

Is the C80 the low-roof BP&GV coach? If so there certainly was a drawing of a low-roof BP&GV coach in an older Model Railways/Model Railway News or Model Railway Constructor. I have the reference on file at home, so I should be able to find it quite quickly tonight.

Adrian

The left side writing also fits and the general form is rather handy to know for other coaches. The right side one is something else - fortunately I'll get away with a white squiggle in 2mm

Arrh, I thought I might have worked out the right hand side solebar writing. It's unusual. I think it is BP& GV in full. Usually you'd see that sort of thing written on the ends at about Cantrial height.

The brake ends ad 'Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley' on them about cantrail height in quite large capitals at least in the early 1950s. although that appears to be a repaint as 1947 photos suggest the stock was a plain dark colour (chocolate ?). The two multi colour liveries can be told apart even on black and white photos as the post 1947 repaint has a thick dark band above the windows while the Swindon photo shows a thin band. Not clear if one is blood & custard or both were chocolate.

Post BP&GV they got plain maroon

[update from other material for anyone reading the thread in future: They got a repaint into chocolate & cream]

Post BP&GV they got plain maroon

Depends when they were painted and what you mean by maroon! The shade used from 1949 to 1956 was crimson, although an author who really ought to know better insists on calling it maroon. From mid 1956 unlined maroon was applied and from mid 1959 lined maroon. When 1323 was measured and photographed for the drawings in the Constructor [1962 or early '63] it was wearing lined maroon.

Chris

• 4 months later...

Archived