Charging cards for items not in stock

artisan100

I recently ordered via the website one loco and 5 identical Peco items from a model shop that frequently gets favourable mentions on RMWeb. The order value was above the minimum required for free delivery and the items were shown as 'in stock -delivery usually within 48 hours' on the website. I selected the ordinary despatch method rather than the Next Day delivery. I received an email confirming the order details and quantities. My card was charged in full on the following day.

4 working days later I checked the website to see my 'order history' and could see that the loco and one of the Peco items were ready for despatch, but the item was now shown as 'out of stock -delivery expected in 7 days', so in reality there was 1 in stock when I had placed my order for 5, I was charged for 5, and the outstanding items were on order from Peco.

I phoned to query whether I could change my order to just the items in stock, and that was done. I said that I was a little unhappy at being charged for items that were out of stock and I was told that the normal practice was to do that if the items were expected within 30 days. I asked why I hadn't been notified of this possible delay and was told that would only happen if I had paid extra for the Next Day delivery.

As far as I can tell at this stage, this will all be resolved satisfactorily, but it did raise in my mind the question as to when customers are happy to be charged and when they are not. Should they be charged up front for items out of stock, or should they only be charged for the in stock items with the other items on back order and being charged when they're available, or would it be better to simply notify the customer of the situation and let him make the choice? I'm just a bit uneasy at the prospect of a less than scrupulous trader having my money in his bank account for 30 days and perhaps making no effort to obtain the out of stock items, and then taking up to 30 days to make a refund if the buyer chooses to cancel, as allowed for under the Distance Selling Regulations.

I'd be interested in your opinions.

Geoff

My opinion:

you don't indicate if this is a big or small company - there is a big difference in my expectations. I don't expect a small company to have to pay big sums of money on fancy stock control systems.

Everything is stacked in favour of the customer paying by credit card. If it all eventually goes wrong sort it through the card company. But I see no suggestion of that happening.

If the delay is only 7 days for restocking and dispatch - I see no problem - you have free delivery and you didn't pay for express delivery. 7 days is very reasonable.

You telephoned, so made the effort and it sounds like you could have cancelled there and then.

BTW - I think even amazon does this (delay while restocked) especially if you have selected the "one shipment option".

So it wouldn't worry me.

I am unsure if I can see the problem here either. You mention that you looked up the order in your order history, so presumably the website allows you to check on the progress of your order and you could see exactly what was happening. This is all very similar to Amazon as Kenton says. You have chosen the cheaper delivery service and seven days is really not much of a delay at all. Had you picked next day and nothing had happened I think you would have had a legitimate complaint, but I really cannot see the problem here.

I can see where you are coming from as it is a pet hate of mine when your card is charged then low and behold the item is out of stock and you are out of pocket for longer than you intended. I run a website and it does sometimes happen that 2 customers will put the same item in their basket one checks out quicker than the other and we check and we only have one in stock. This being the case we never charge the card of the person who is awaiting stock until the itemhas arrived or a suitable replacement has been agreed on (for instance if the item is limited edition).

Did they say why there was a sudden change in stock status or was it purely just a mistake on their end?

Archived