A Ruston LA/LB in 16mm scale SM32

For ages now I have been after a 16mm Ruston LAU or LBU. The chassis has been the main problem with nothing available with the required wheelbase. A large lump of ingenuity was required here. I have always been very impressed with the Atlas 0 scale 0-6-0 switcher. An exceptional chassis both in its simple engineering and weight and the traction is very impressive.

Between the outer and centre axles it is very close to the wheelbase dimensions of the Ruston, so why not cut the bits off I don't need? A cheap model was acquired off good old Ebay and with a new hacksaw blade, it cuts relatively easily.

First completely strip down the Atlas model, this takes all of five minutes. The large cast lump of the chassis that holds the motor, drive and axles is the shape and just under the size of the engine housing on the Ruston. So far so good. Cut the chassis length down and remove chassis height.

You now have a two axle chassis that weighs nearly a pound in old money. Replace the gears and axles discarding the centre axle with the flange less wheels. Cut down the plastic retaining base plate to size. Alter the pick ups with a piece of copper clad strip. You now have a working two axle chassis within millimetres of the Ruston dimensions. Now for the body, I suspect plasticard will be the medium here.

I hope this hasn't been aired before and it will help someone.

ruston.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I don't know the prototype that well but the proportions look good already with the figure.

Be interesting to see it next to a couple of wagons to get a better sense of how it looks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Garry, most interesting, what I would really like is a seat! I tried IP Eng ages ago but they won't sell parts seperately.

Cheers

Roger

There is a seat on those bits but probably wrong shape.

The pictures look great. Looks well proportioned.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Garry, most interesting, what I would really like is a seat! I tried IP Eng ages ago but they won't sell parts seperately.

Cheers

Roger

There is a seat here http://www.back2bay6.net/80415/info.php?p=8&cat=187198 and can be seen towards the end of this thread in its packet http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5991

I know its the wrong scale but could it be used as a starting point to modify down?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I must get around to painting the figures, can you still get Persil? If not I fear it gives away your age!

Persil, I could have said "Tide" but have always associated that product name with "tide marks" so perhaps not the best product name. :D

Another one I remember is OMO - how do they dream these up?

Archived