DB AG signs ICx contract

NGT6 1315

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

As some of you may be aware already, Deutsche Bahn is planning to procure a new fleet of InterCity EMUs to augment and partially replace the current loco-hauled IC sets. A contract for up to 300 sets was signed today – with the trains being produced by Siemens and Bombardier. 130 sets will definitely be delivered from 2016 onwards, with the rest being options. There will be 7-car and 10-car formations, the latter of which are intended to eventually replace the ICE 1 and ICE 2 sets.

Animated video clip: Click.

Intriguing!

It looks quite reminiscent of current driving trailers from end on, if somewhat different from the side.

I see that both electric and diesel variants look to be on the cards (I know you said Emu's!) - wonder if we could tack on the order for our new trains?:lol:

Cheers,

John E.

Interesting news, and bizarrely it looks like a national operator making a long term strategic decision for the benefit of the passengers! That sort of approach would be inconceivable in the UK. And from the press release:

"This is a good day for the Germany economy. The trainsets, from their body shells through their final assembly, will be made entirely in Germany. This order will safeguard thousands of jobs, including many in the mid-sized supplier industry," explained the Federal Minister of Transport, Building and Urban Development, Dr. Peter Ramsauer.

And people wonder why the German and French economies are powering ahead but the UK is stuck on a siding! Diesels from the US, high speed trains from Japan...and presumably a derivative of the super high-tech ICx from Germany at some point in future for HS2 and HS3+ if we ever get round to building them...or rather a French LGV subsiduary will probably build them! Madness in the country that pioneered railways.

And people wonder why the German and French economies are powering ahead but the UK is stuck on a siding! Diesels from the US, high speed trains from Japan...and presumably a derivative of the super high-tech ICx from Germany at some point in future for HS2 and HS3+ if we ever get round to building them...or rather a French LGV subsiduary will probably build them! Madness in the country that pioneered railways.

Ah well, you see - the German, French, Japanese and even American governments have and continue to, support their own industries!

Sorry! I suppose that's political and I shouldn't say it but there! I have!

It's only the truth!

Regards,

John E.

Archived