NCE Powercab

Hi, i've just started out in this hobby of railwaymodelling. On buying a New NCE powercab system for my Hornby dcc layout, and tying it out for the first time, I noticed that the loco direction is reversed to that indicated on the Powercab, I then changed the wiring around but it made no difference. Can someone help me as im totally confused. Mogy

Hi, i've just started out in this hobby of railwaymodelling. On buying a New NCE powercab system for my Hornby dcc layout, and tying it out for the first time, I noticed that the loco direction is reversed to that indicated on the Powercab, I then changed the wiring around but it made no difference. Can someone help me as im totally confused. Mogy

It is the loco/decoder wiring that is switched; changing the NCE wiring will not affect things.

The easiest way to fix things is to change the CV direction setting for the loco(s) concerned. This is part of CV29 - you will need to check the decoder manual for details.

To clarify this a bit, in DCC the 'polarity' of the connections doesn't make a difference. The DCC controller sends a command to the locomotive which, effectively, tells the locomotive to travel in the direction that the locomotive (decoder) thinks is forward (or backward as the case may be).

The locomotive determines which way it 'thinks' is forward based on the wiring of the decoder to the motor (relative to the pickups) and by the way the decoder is programmed (CV29 primarily).

This way you can drive two locomotives forward towards one another.

Adrian

As BVM said, the easiest way to reverse the direction is to add 1 to CV29 if its value is an even number, or subtract 1 if it is odd.

If you must swap wires, then you should do it to the brush feeds in the locomotive itself.

Hi, thanks a lot for your input. I'll try this out.

It is the loco/decoder wiring that is switched; changing the NCE wiring will not affect things.

The easiest way to fix things is to change the CV direction setting for the loco(s) concerned. This is part of CV29 - you will need to check the decoder manual for details.

I've noticed a lot of DCC fitted Hornby locos go in the wrong direction - it may be just the old, unreliable, version of decoders they used to fit.

"DCC Ready" locos can also be affected - some of my Bulleids went in opposite directions after fitting the same decoders (until CV29 was changed).

The wiring of pickups to motor is not consistent across the range and means that swapping tenders between two locos can cause a short.

Mike

It's really easy to fix this on the NCE. Pages 47-49 of newer manual. Do the programming on the program track. You can switch to this setting on the controller without having a separate piece of track but remember to remove other locos first. I would turn DC mode off as well unless you really need it.

Archived