Best layout for a control panel

davet

Hi I don't know whether this is the best place for this topic bt here goes. I wonder if anybody has any preferances or arguments for either a geographic (trackplan) type of panel or banks of switches. The panel is for my new layout which has a reasonably complex station throat and quite a few track sections the layout is DC. I have used both types of panel before and found a problem to be making any alterations to the trackplan therefore requires major alterations to the panel instead of just connecting to a spare switch. Also if I decide just to use banks of switches is there any particular layout of switches to make a panel more "user friendly". The layout is to be operated by myself and occasionally a select group of other modellers. Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I prefer geographic because I think it is - usually - far more intuitive (although I will admit to a little difficulty understanding some of the section switch arrangements on Bath Green Park during the SWAG visitblush.gif). However arranging switches in 'banks' or rows as you suggest does, as you say, have some advantages and if you are using regular operators who can learn the layout I don't see why it shouldn't work - after all signalboxes on the 'big' railway were/are exactly that. You can of course then arrange your switches in a sort of geographical pattern by having those which work things to the left of their position at that end of the row or you can use a form of colour coding - but I think you really do need some sort of diagram as an aid.

After contemplating much the same issues I've just built my control panel box. It will have switches in rows as I think it will feel a bit more like a signal box. :D Like you I'm using DC so I've got big flat rocker switches to switch track sections between two controllers or off. I'm then going to use toggle switches for the more railway like point and signal opperation. Everything will illuminate indicator LEDs on a track diagram so I can be sure I operated the correct switch (and that the point motor has responded). However I've only got 10 sections and 10 point swithces on my BLT so hopefully it won't be too hard to learn "the box".

At least that's the plan now I've just got to wire it all up :blink: .

Adrian

This sounds like the solution for me Adrian. Fortunatly I've got a large stock of ex GPO and second generation computer switches available to me and I will be using from multipole switches to toggle switches so hopefully I will not need to buy in much in the way of parts. I have also being playing around with point throw indictators (I think I got them from All Components), which will be ideal for displaying the settings of the more distant points. It seems like all I have to do now is make the thing. If I use a bit of logic as Mike suggests it might even be user friendly. Thanks all

Dave

• RMweb Premium

On my last layout I used a lever frame to change points and signals and had rotary switches on the geographic plan in the relavant section to switch the traction power between any of the 4 controllers. These were 2 way 6 position switches so that there were two neutral positions so that it was easy to isolate a section. I wired the six positions as follows: A, Neutral, B,C,Neutral,D. This meant thta it was only 1 move to isolate a section. The switches were the standard rotary enclosed wafer units from RS and have proved to be very reliable.

As to layout, the plan was at the top of the panel with the section switches included, then the lever frame in the centre and the controller plugs along the bottom.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Generally the geographic style of panel is probably easier for visitors to learn. However if you have a signal box diagram anyone familiar with steam age railways should be able to follow it. With DCC you have no need of section switches so the 'box' should correspond with the signal diagram. Personally I find the bank of switches as per a mechanical box feels right but then I am an oldie and it was mechanical boxes that I remember. With modern style systems your layouts should be controlled by a central point miles away.

Don

For a fiddle yard I have used a rotary switch per point which provide a visual route identification, 1 push switch and 1 on off toggle switch. The rotary switches are set to the route you want, the push switch then works the appropriate point motors and the toggle switch powers the isolated section on the road that you have set the points to - the push and toggle switches being wired through the rotary switches.

Archived