Turning matt paint to gloss

Everyone in the know, both here and elsewhere, states that transfers adhere far better to gloss paint than matt.

The trouble is, freight colours only appear to be available in matt.

I know you can dull down gloss by adding talcum powder, but is there a process to add a shine to matt paint?

Mike

Johnsons Klear floorpolish is generally reckoned to provide a good surface to allow transfers to settle cleanly.

If you search the forums for the phrase "Johnsons Klear", you will find two threads on the subject - one spelled with an apostrophe and one without!

Best wishes

Eric

Mike

I've started to use Halfords clear lacquer for a gloss varnish then overspraying the applied transfer with Precision matt varnish.However I've been playing around with Slaters transfers (as found in their kits) and find these work better on a matt surface (in fact I couldn't get them to adhere to a gloss surface),so its worth a bit of experimentation.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

The problem with Klear is that it turns a slightly blue-ish tinge when in contact with water, which youwill be using whatever method of transfer you have ( "float off" or HMRS "paper release" style).

Go for gloss varnish on the right areas, and then over spray with matt.

(Klear used to be the favourite choice of cheats who didn't want to spit shine their Army boots - put a tiny amount of spit shine on, and then Klear over it all - the Sergeant Majors used to find the cheat out bysending someone for a kettle of water, which got pured onto suspected bots. Real polish just let the water run off like on a waxed car, Klear just went bluer)

Slaters transfers (as found in their kits) work better on a matt surface (in fact I couldn't get them to adhere to a gloss surface).

A well-timed tip, as two of the wagons in the batch I'm processing will be having Slaters transfers. Thanks, Jamie

With regard to Johnson's Klear, the formula changed a couple of years ago. Every agrees the new mix isnt as good as the old one, but opinion appears to be divided as to whether or not it is still usable.

• RMweb Premium

I've had some success by simply polishing the area where the transfers are to be applied with the end of a cotton bud dipped in a tiny amount of T-cut. Seems to work quite well on wagons painted with red/grey car primers and Fox transfers.

I've also had success using the method described by Mark. T-cut is definately best for this as cheaper brands just don't cut it :D and can do more damage than good.

Some waterslide transfers when applied to matt paint, tend to trap air between the film and the paint, so after polishing the area where the transfer is to sit, it's a good idea to brush a little 'micro set' onto this area before sliding the transfer on and positioning. Then the transfer is dabbed with a cotton bud to remove all traces of air before lightly brushing the micro set on top and dabbing until dry. I found the 'Microscale' stuff improved my transfer applications quite a lot.

I also find that HMRS pressfix will pretty much stick well to matt surfaces.

Cheers

Andy

Archived