YQA PARR was yaa in error

I picked up a few Cambrian kits from Derby show and having had a number of pictures for ages of PARR's I thought that would be an easy one to do but boy what a variety in cable tensioners and then the end steps seem to be a later edition again.

I wonder does anyone have a picture of a sleeper carrying one's deck?, it seems the decks were redone in the rebuild in the 80's but can I find anything that shows the wagons deck other ones that retained their bolsters which also seemed to have kept their wooden decking.

Ideas please!

Ian

From memory YAA were "BRILL" - BDA in engineers use?

"PARR" are YQA, and mixed in numerically with "MULLET" YLA - both "Boplates" in engineers use - IIRC it's the latter that have bolsters.

I think I have some top-down Parr shots which aren't back online yet if that's definately what you want?

Martyn,

Sorry, typing at dinner time whilst in work! I meant YQA ex borail!

*I am interested in the ones that carry sleepers*

I Think I will have to do a further dig and get my TOPS codes sorted!

It would appear that some YQA carrying sleepers have had an extra step hold added whilst the ones with bolsters dont seem to have had steps and the extra cut out, maybe its the heritage of the photographs I am looking at, I am not sure!

Any images you have would of course be hugely welcome!

Ian

From memory YAA were "BRILL" - BDA in engineers use?

"PARR" are YQA, and mixed in numerically with "MULLET" YLA - both "Boplates" in engineers use - IIRC it's the latter that have bolsters.

I think I have some top-down Parr shots which aren't back online yet if that's definately what you want?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

You have a lot of the answers already in your UPDate back issues....

YLA 'Mullet/YQA Parr 50T Borails, Gareth Bayer, Update Compendium 1, p.42

Article with history of the wagons, includes a part dimensioned drawing (detailing both the Mullet and the Parr)

YLA 'Mullet and YQA Parr, Kevin Bruce, Update Issue 32 p.26

Article with history and information on number series, includes drawings for ratchet strap location for Mullet and Parrs (variants of each). Drawings not dimensioned, 4mm scale.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Floor and extension with ratchets locations roughly cut out, nearly ready for the new sides!

The sides are all cut and are in a series of little snappy bags that was a nice relaxing evening just chopping strip up.

Hopefully the sides will go smoothly.

My next thoughts are for buffers I had some MJT heavy oval oleos in stock, and then notiuced the rather nice new Nairnishire ones for boplates and bought a few pack of them but there seems to be another type fitted to so wagons that have the heavy old stock but a beefier oval buffer head, I wonder if these are "Salmon" type? I know they have been available from AME years ago, but did these have the beefier oval head?

Ian

post-7587-0-91041300-1319761674_thumb.jpg

Havimg yet another think how I can make the ratchet "pockets" and think I have an idea....pics to follow.

The issue I have had is making (how many) over five wagons to give a uniform look to them all over the entire train.

Well I think I have now done it. make a C section up add a floor to make a ladder effect then chop them out once dry. then once in can be taken down a little more so the entire wagon side is even, a YQA has a lot of bits along the side!

Ian

A few more, basically the main beams which are 3.2mm square with 20" thou square section added as per photographic evidence.

The pegs arent to scale and wont feature on the completed model!

The maroon spray is from when I did the axle box covers. bit of spare board, a strip of double layered carpet glue (which isnt as strong as other double sided) but well up for this job.

The bits are sprayed and remian safe and sound til dried, when they spring off and can be lost forever or an age in the carpet!

post-7587-0-84487300-1321385529_thumb.jpg

post-7587-0-82013800-1321385539_thumb.jpg

post-7587-0-39784900-1321385547.jpg

Buffers. well I have some MJT heavy oloeo on one wagon and three sets of Lanarkshire Models Borail oval sefl contained buffers. I have always felt MJT to be great (which they are) but the LMS models are so crisp they really set the model off IMHO.

post-7587-0-09389300-1321393385_thumb.jpg

post-7587-0-89931400-1321393396_thumb.jpg

post-7587-0-24105600-1321393404_thumb.jpg

Archived