Little Phili

simon hudson

I have been postulating a new layout for a while, as one does. I have always had an interest in North Eastern steam, especially the Lambton system. I have a 90% complete lambton austerity,(I've only been on with it for about 10 years).

After a house move from one side of the uk to the other, and then another move due to a relationship break up.Time to get cracking!!

Here goes "Little Phili" (Philadelphia) the baseboards are 6mm ply topped with 1/2" chipboard on wooden cradles 2x2 legs cross braced with 2x1 runners I have used this principle before and find it strong and robust!!.

The layout will be BASED losely on the 2 road running shed, up through the level crossing, to the I think lovely bracket signal.I want to try and incorporate the coaling staithes I'll see how it all pans out.I intend to do it dc old fashioned perhaps but it's what I'm used to

14-05-2011213853.jpg

I may yet change the small road section round 90degrees and fit a row of terrace house at the rear of the layout(still thinking )

LittlePhili001.jpg

3 boards 4'x14", total length 12'

LittlePhili006.jpg

Track laying started using Peco code 75

LittlePhili010.jpg

Using Andy's technique respacing sleepers(cracking thread thanks)

• 2 weeks later...

An update as track laying has progressed a little. First a view from above the crossover down to the running shed.Point motors are installed and I have tried a bit of building as a trial the front of the 2 road running shed

littlephili006-1.jpg

A Lambton cab austerity(not finished)stands in what will be the shed

008-1.jpg

Another view

littlephili004-1.jpg

Track laying has continued this week.I have only got the incline up to the coaling staithes to lay.

I have also done a little work on the 2 road shed

littlephili004-2.jpg

A view from t'other end of layout up towards the shed and coaling area,the staithes will be on the right(I'm quite not sure how to tackle this yet but will no doubt dive into it!!)

littlephili005-1.jpg

The 2 road entrance to the shed

littlephili007.jpg

No59 stands on the coaling road this loco has my 1st attempts at home made transfers,I'm not sure about them, they don't have enough definition and depth so may be removed

I hope to start wiring this week.Point motors are installed,and I have realised the ageing thing, my eyes are'nt what they used to be (should've gone to spec savers!!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An update report-Sorry no photos as yet I have really struggled to get going after a short break and fishing the fly.

I finally set to and have got 2 boards wired and running the crossover down to the running shed.

I have run a loco (my trusty Bachmann V3) and she runs very well, slowly and smoothly. So the final board should be started and finished soon.Then it's down to painting and ballasting.

I have been playing about with the shed and think I have gone a bit to overboard with the weathering.I hope to put some uptodate pictures on sometime soon-Simon

• 3 months later...

The latest update-Track laid including the incline and ballasting has commenced I'm trying to recreate the look of the colliery system and have found it strange to lay the ballast in that sort of rough and ready manner. Having studied pictures on the "Lambton Locomotive trust" site. I hope it is looking something like the real thing!! a few pictures showing work so far

Tracklayingstarted030.jpg

Track painted as per Andy Y's cracking post

littlephilli006.jpg

Rials painted brown and sleepers painted various shades of brown/grey

littlephilli007.jpg

I have literally just gued the first section of ballast using Woodlands Scenic fine Cinders.I was pleasantly surprised at the product.

Once the first application of ballast has dried I'll check for any patches to touch up and do some paint work to the rail side and especially the chairs

• 1 month later...

Well Christmas has come and gone,I did manage to do a bit of work on the layout.Two boards are ballasted and trackwork painted there is still touching up and tidying to do.I have played around with the running shed and still can't decide to scrap it, and start again using card and brick papers.

I have got so far using the old Airfix shed (it is so reminiscent of the sheds at Philadelphia) but the moulds must be so worn out and knackerd. I recoverd the sides in slaters brick.I have used the original windows, though I suspect echings would have been better being finer. So here goes some pictures of work so far

littlephili12-1-12002.jpg

view from the level crossing towards the Herrington end

littlephili12-1-12003.jpg

taken with flash on the shed isn' as red as this

littlephili12-1-12005.jpg

looking down the shed wall showing windows

littlephili12-1-12006.jpg

The original Airfix windows suitably carved up. showing the newly bricked up windows as I remember them in the 1960's

littlephili12-1-12007.jpg

A view looking up the coaling road I havent decided how to tackle the staithes as yet but thats the way I like to work, dive into it!!

littlephili12-1-12009.jpg

The last pic showing track painted.

(again I must mention Andy's cracking thread on Peco code 75 track

I wish it could be pinned somewhere because it is a super source of reference)

Any feedback is welcome I know I'm a slow worker LoL

• 1 month later...

I have done a bit more work on the running shed and it know has four walls and a roof,there is a little more work to do the end roof plinths touching up etc. I have also started the signal box.

In the end I decided to continue with my attempts using plasticard . I am happier with my attempts at painting brickwork. I just want to crack on and get it finished. Comments will be gratefully recieved, anyway for your perusal pic 1) is a view down from what will be the level crossing

LittlePhilisheds002.jpg

Forgive the lighting taken quite late

LittlePhilisheds004.jpg

I want to get started on my Wills Taff Vale tank a kit I've had for years and years just to see it standing in the shed door frame

LittlePhilisheds009.jpg

A side view some details added guttering and drain pipes

LittlePhilisheds007.jpg

and finally a view up the coaling line the v3 is out of place I know but a little modellers licscence plus I will be using the layout to run J27's and Q6's when not been used as Phli

LittlePhilisheds006.jpg

Looking again at the pictures I'm going to have to paint the rail sides again I don't like the rust colour

• 1 month later...

Simon - I wish I'd seen this before! Awesome, I love the Phili system. I forget what DVD it was but we sat and watched one that contained footage taken there, and Lambton cabbed Austerities were sliding down the gradient from the staithes with their wheels fully locked being propelled by the weight of the load, it was that that made me want to make Stoating's gradient as steep as possible!!

The Austerity is looking awesome - what hybrid is she?

Do you have a track plan?

I have a photo in an old Bradford Barton book here of Phili shed with no roof and the locos sat inside covered in snow! I'll have to dig it out.

Been looking at this for a couple of weeks wondering if I really need it!

http://www.modelrailways.tv/4mm-scale-heritage.html (The HS4 model)

She maybe a bit too big for Stoating!

But I like the value of Mercian models, and they have a great range - do you have any experience with them?

Tracks looks good, I used Woodland scenics black cinders too. Have you tried using DAS modelling clay? That can work quite well in depot areas etc.

The Austerity is an old Airfix kit with a Perserverence chassis and a Kingdom cab the motor is a branchlines geared at about 80:1 through the branchlines gearbox.Bear in mind it was built some 15 years ago I have another 3 Airfix and 1 Kitmaster Austerity ferreted away with another kingdom's cab along with the Wills U1 Taff Vale tank. Only prob with that, is the wheel centres are miles out. Gibsons do a chassis but I don't know what its like, mind with the Wills chassis I think it could be built to give a good representation of one of the Kitson 0-6-2ts. I would love one of the Stephenson 0-6-2's (I actually fired No 5 in 1970 when she wwas being prep'd for the N Y M R) only being 14 at the time it was great fun and a memory I shall always cherish (no health and safety then!!)

a good DvD is Coals to Newcastle

• 1 month later...

After a break for decorating and household chores plus to much time on RMwebb!!

.I've now virtually completed the ballasting well 99% of it. I want to touch up the track and finetune the ballast.I have had a problem with the points and switching due to dilute pva getting everywhere.So after a long cleaning session I have managed to run something

th_Ebay027.jpg

Test run a train of empties hurries down to Herrington Colliery

th_Ebay027.jpg

Passing the crossing box and running shed

All seems to be running as it should

I couldn't resist this jump forward 20 years Herrington Colliery didn't close but had a rapid loader installed and a 56 has come up junction bank to try the new facilities out

Ebay030.jpg

Archived