Exmouth JNC shed

darren01

Hi All

I have a number of books on the SR that show Exmouth shed, but all the shots are taken from some way off.

I am planning on building the later SR shed they built over the older LSWR one ; can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get a plan or some photos showing the shed in more detail? help.gif

All the best

Darren

:yes:

Darren, near perfect pic (pic 110) Branch Lines To Exmouth, Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith, Middleton Press.:yahoo:

I based mine on it, built using Slaters paving over plasticard and Evergreen square section to give the concrete block look.

Have the book here with me now.

Neil

Originally the replacement concrete shed (b.1927) had a pitched roof of felt and tar.

It was re-roofed in c.1948 with corrugated asbestos.

There was a water tank in the back of the roof space. At the same time of building the turntable and external water tanks were removed from the yard - so sadly removing much of the character and potential visual impact of such a diorama/model.

BTW minor correction the original shed was built by the Exeter & Exmouth Railway in 1861, which was absorbed into the LWSR n 1866. That shed was timber with a slated gable roof.

I'll have a look for other refs/images

There are also a couple of pics on page 74 of The Exeter & Exmouth Railway, by Colin Maggs.

Also some details of staffing, working arrangements and (sub) allocation of locos.

In 1960 the shed had a (sub) allocation of 4 locos from Exmouth Junction varying daily,

two class '3' Standard 2-6-2 tanks, one class '2' Ivatt 2-6-2 tank, and one M7.

The book has a wealth of detail of loco allocations to the Exmouth service over the years.

There were no coaling facilities at Exmouth, locos took coal daily at Exmouth Junction,

but a coal wagon was kept at Exmouth for topping up.

The Middleton Press pic referred to earlier is clearer though.

cheers

There is a photo in "An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds" by Chris Hawkins & George Reeve ISBN 860930203 by A Camwell 1952 that shows the shed with what appears to be billboards in each of the panels between the windows. This side of the station faced the platform.

The track plan was very simple being a single road dead-ended shed with a short spur off it, the "coal road". There was a water crane approximately 1 loco length outside the shed on the station side. This was in addition to the other water columns adjacent to the track at the end of each platform and between the platforms at about half length. There was a small "office" on the outer eastern wall.

HI All

I feel a bit of a fool fool_mini.gif....must not write thing when i am half asleep!!! ...the shed i am looking at doing is Exmouth Jnc shed not Exmouth ,this is the one i can not find any close up shots showing the detail .

Sorry about the confusion sorry_mini.gif

Darren

Ah! It did cross my mind :D

Exmouth Junction was an enirely different beast!

Also built in 1927 replacing a near collapsed earlier LSWR (b.1887) 11 track corrugated iron through shed that was already effectively out of use by 1920 (allegedly "jerry" built)

The new SR shed was located on the site of the old turntable and ash plant. It was a reinforced concrete built 12 track straight dead-ended shed with an eastlight pattern concrete and asphalt roof.

Facilities included an electrically operated 65ft turntable, a mechanical coaling plant, a water tower and a repair bay.

The shed closed in 1965 but survived for another 21 months for oily box servicing.

Even in 2mm I think you will be hard pushed to represent this very substantial shed in the space of the challenge ... and TBH the Exmouth shed I think offers more promise and character.

• RMweb Gold

Exmouth Junction always holds a special place for me. I grew up next to it. However when I was born, the shed had been bulldozed and was somewhere under Leo's, what I think was Exeter's first ever supermarket! (Its now a Morrisons - how posh!). I recall seeing an 08 parked up when I was young. That sadly was as exciting as things got down there when I was little!

Anyway, I agree that the shed is a bit of a mystery. The two best sources I can point you to is as follows:

Branch Lines to Exmouth p49 gives the depot track plan in 1932. The previous page shows the shed in 1905 if your really modelling that version. So you've got a choice!

Exeter Memories p52 gives a great photograph of the front of the shed. However as the photographs are intended of locos, the side elevations are always obscured, although you could probably make an educated guess!

Details of books below

Branch Lines to Exmouth (1992) Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith ISBN 1 873793 006

'Exeter Memories' Exmouth Junction Fireman (2010) Richard Parkinson ISBN978-1-906419-40-0

Sadly, thats the best I've founds so far!

Hope that helps!

ahaaaaa! did think about asking you that!

Got quite a bit here so forget last pm, see what I can sort but might not be for a few days.

Its big mind!

I wonder if you are thinking of doing a 'John Dornom' (Laira 7mm micro, superb!!!!!).:yes: :yes:

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Exmouth Junction always holds a special place for me. I grew up next to it. However when I was born, the shed had been bulldozed and was somewhere under Leo's, what I think was Exeter's first ever supermarket! (Its now a Morrisons - how posh!). I recall seeing an 08 parked up when I was young. That sadly was as exciting as things got down there when I was little!

Anyway, I agree that the shed is a bit of a mystery. The two best sources I can point you to is as follows:

Branch Lines to Exmouth p49 gives the depot track plan in 1932. The previous page shows the shed in 1905 if your really modelling that version. So you've got a choice!

Exeter Memories p52 gives a great photograph of the front of the shed. However as the photographs are intended of locos, the side elevations are always obscured, although you could probably make an educated guess!

Details of books below

Branch Lines to Exmouth (1992) Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith ISBN 1 873793 006

'Exeter Memories' Exmouth Junction Fireman (2010) Richard Parkinson ISBN978-1-906419-40-0

Sadly, thats the best I've founds so far!

Hope that helps!

"Yeovil to Exeter" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith, Middleton Press, ISBN 0-906520-91-6 also has photos of the shed, including and aerial view showing much of the roof.

"The Railway in Whipton" published by the Whipton History Group ISBN 095058736-4 tells of the development Exmouth Junction and of Whipton; the village where Exmouth Junction resides, that grew into a suberb of Exeter

I may be able to locate some spare copies.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

I thought Exmouth Shed would make a nice diorama, but, as Kenton says 72A is an entirely different challenge.

Pictures of the depot appear in many books, but as you say many of them are too distant to pick up detail.

I have the following books, each of which have something of some use:-

Devon Railways by Ted Gosling & Mike Clement, has a chapter on the shed, various views, some show some

detail of the roof vents, for example.

Steam Memories: 1950s & 1960s by D H Beecroft, Book Law Publications

Useful shots of the mainline side of the shed, turntable, and water tower in the background.

The Salisbury to Exeter Line by Derek Phillips & George Pryer, OPC

A number of pictures of the old and new shed, one is an inside shot showing internal details

Also shed allocations and details of loco turns etc.

Rail Centres Exeter by Colin Maggs (1985) Booklaw Publications

Views of the old shed in disrepair, and the new shed, one shot taken from the coaling tower shows detail of roof from above.

Includes a shot of LMS 10001 on shed.

In the tracks of the 'ACE' by Jeffrey Grayer Noodle Books

A distant colour shot taken from a passing train in 1968 after closure, shows some detail of yard furniture

and shed in the distance without locos blocking the view, ( a sad picture).

The Exeter & Exmouth Railway by Colin Maggs

Has a 1932 shot of the new shed when new, it shows each shed road had its number from 1 - 12 above the entrance,

these signs are missing from 1950 1960 shots.

Hope this helps.

I too have fond memories of the place, my dad took me round in about 1964 or 1965, I remember Bullied pacifics and BR Standards,

also a later visit with only a couple of (later preserved?) GWR tank locos outside on the mainline side.

Then watching the demolition of the shed after closure.

Good luck with this

cheers

• RMweb Gold

"The Railway in Whipton" published by the Whipton History Group ISBN 095058736-4 tells of the development Exmouth Junction and of Whipton; the village where Exmouth Junction resides, that grew into a suberb of Exeter

I may be able to locate some spare copies.

That book sounds interesting, but after a quick internet search, either its as rare as hens teeth, or it was published and distributed in Exeter only. If you do know where you can get a copy, let me know.

• RMweb Premium

That book sounds interesting, but after a quick internet search, either its as rare as hens teeth, or it was published and distributed in Exeter only. If you do know where you can get a copy, let me know.

It may well have been locally distributed, I bought mine some years ago in a Whipton Newsagent.

I know I've seen a pile of them somewhere, but can't remember where it was! I will look out for them.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

There is a photo in "An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds" by Chris Hawkins & George Reeve ISBN 860930203 .....

This book listed by Kenton contains a lot of useful information on Exmouth Junction Shed, highly recomended.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Found them! There is a pile of "The Railway in Whipton" on sale at the Exeter Show this very weekend, and I grabbed a few. If you send me a private message with your address I'll post one to you.

Cheers,

Dave.

Archived