Fleischmann ÖBB Railjet Taurus in N scale "review"

Montafon

Hello all

I am modelling European N scale, especially Austria and just thought I would post a quick review of the new Fleischmann Railjet Taurus model. For a routine new model I wouldn't disturb the forum with a review since I don't presume that my usually poor photos and ramblings are very interesting for anyone else, and Austrian N is definitely a niche within a niche on a UK forum!

However, when a new model can speak for itself...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuTgcfx0rJQ

Fleischmann 731171 - ÖBB Rh 1116 Railjet "Spirit of Zurich" with DCC Sound

in N scale!

This is my very first DCC Sound locomotive, and while you might think that it is steam that lends itself to DCC Sound rather than a whining electric locomotive, some electric locomotives with the right arrangement of thyristors in the AC-AC converters can play an entire scale as they pull away with a train; most famously the class 1016 and 1116 Taurus locomotives of the ÖBB. Sadly the converter technology has moved on and newer versions of the Eurosprinter (e.g. ÖBB class 1216) are back to the usual whining...

It is not so surprising therefore that Fleischmann can lay claim to this model being the first off-the-shelf N scale E-lok with build in sound of the prototype, here provided by a Zimo sound decoder I believe. Although I haven't opened her up yet, the model obviously has a huge speaker in because the sound is both clear and very loud as you can see from the video. The video shows only a few of the sound functions the model has, there are around 19 in total. (The "meep meep" sound function in the video is the acceleration indicator apparently!) The model has the standard bi-directional red/white running lights but also function controlled headlights that in my experience just aren't offered in Euro N scale models.

The detailing of the model is without doubt exquisite with lovely fine pantographs and handrails, accurate brake disks and aerodynamic cowling between the bogies. Running properties are very smooth but I might tweak the acceleration CVs to make the converter tones slower as it accelerates. Obviously if you care most about the model being perfectly detailed then you will be modelling H0 and already have a Roco model (as seen in 1216 025's delightful reviews in the Showcase), but for N scale this model truly is delightful. It completely upstages the older Minitrix (fairly inaccurate) and Hobbytrain (slightly inaccurate) offerings, and means that for once choosing N scale requires making absolutey no compromises with the model.

Of course it is only fair to point out that this model costs around £220 with sound, and indeed you would expect the cat's whiskers for such a price. However the plain DC version without sound is only around £125, which is very reasonable for a Euro N model, e.g. compared to the Fleischmann SBB Re 482 model that I recall paying around £150 for a few years ago. (The very reasonable price may be explained by the existence of the Mintrix and Hobbytrain models...)

I would love to do a side by side comparison with a H0 Roco model, but it would be no surprise to find that they are very similar in form because Fleischmann and Roco are now the same company and no doubt the 3D files of the H0 model were reworked for this N scale offering. One of those "business synergies" that actually works then! Fleischmann have also released the class 1216 Taurus in N scale too, again available with DCC Sound.

And here is my least worst photo of it.

Dsc05751_879.jpg

I now look forward to the endless livery variations over the coming years! I can't help but recall that Roco (and therefore now Fleischmann too) has the model reproduction rights to such marvels as the Mozart Taurus and the Bundesheer Taurus... ^_^

Archived