The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The British Railway Stories - eBooks on Kindle, iBooks, Kobo

S.A.C Martin

Hello Simon, I applaud your generousity.

However, as a mean old so-and-so, £1 per sale seems to me a high % to be donating to a third party.

Best wishes,

Peter

Hi Peter,

It's swings and roundabouts - it's not overly high, when you take into account that the RRP for the next book is likely to be £8.99. It's not too high either for goodwill. I want to base my business on goodwill and cooperation; these are the sort of things you can't "buy", so to speak!

I would rather give away half my money and know it's being spent on goodwill causes in railway preservation, and the other charities I support (specifically Cancer Research UK and The Railway Children Charity) than for it to sit in a bank account for years doing little but adding minor income through interest payments.

Call me naive - feel free to - but it's never been entirely about the money for me. :)

All I can add is that I sincerely hope that everything pans out for you - God knows, you've worked hard enough to get there with this project!

Like "45156" implies, I just don't want to see you giving away so much of all your hard efforts.

But good luck Simon. If only more thought like you.

• 1 month later...

post-1656-0-45504900-1352985552.png

Meet our newest friend in The British Railway Stories!

"Drew the Colliery Engine"

Drew is based on the preserved Andrew Barclay diesel No.615. No.615 was the last surface locomotive working for the National Coal Board (latterly British Coal).

Owned by the Barton family, Drew is the first character in The British Railway Stories to benefit from The Heritage & Railway Preservation Donation Scheme.

In exchange for character rights, £1 from the sale of every eBook and book will be donated back to the owners of the real No.615, to be spent on overhauls, running costs and the preservation of other heritage items within the owning group.

The development of the book "Drew the Colliery Engine" is expected to take up to a year, with a Christmas 2013 release penciled in.

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome aboard Drew and his owners, and can say wholeheartedly that myself and Dean Walker are looking forward to writing and illustrating this, the third book in the stories.

Welcome aboard Drew!

• RMweb Premium

As I now look to the end of my activities with railways (and by extension RMweb), I just wanted to say well done with all your railway stories self-publishing. You've made it work where I couldn't with my novels, particularly on eBooks. I sincerely hope your success goes from strength-to- strength.

Well Done! :good:

Thank you very much Ian. I appreciate that greatly. We haven't made it yet, but this year has been the start of something meaningful I hope.

Please don't be a stranger though - feel free to contact me via www.britishrailwaystories.com when you just want to talk books. I haven't forgot about the notes, but I haven't been able to type them up as yet. They will be forthcoming, rest assured.

• RMweb Premium

Good news, Simon that your list of titles is increasing.

I for one will jump to own hard copies of your work as soon as it is available - let me know when it is, I'll keep a little bit of credit on my plastic just for that purpose.

Archived