Loading sand and gravel.

Hi Phil,

I just watched the vid and it looks to be a good idea and simple to.

do you find the system very load as it seemed it in the video.

Cheers,

Will.

Imho you will need a fairly substantial hopper if you intend to load 0 guage but it does work, you could incorporate part of the hopper into the back scene for ease of reloading so your hopper wouldnt have to be so big. It will work Just make sure all sides slope into the dispenser, that should ensure that no jamming occurs phil

Imho you will need a fairly substantial hopper if you intend to load 0 guage but it does work, you could incorporate part of the hopper into the back scene for ease of reloading so your hopper wouldnt have to be so big. It will work Just make sure all sides slope into the dispenser, that should ensure that no jamming occurs phil

Cheers for the advice,

If made the hopper say big enough to hold 2-3 wagons worth of sand that would be pretty big, it isn't possible to intergrate it into the backscene so a substatial box would be the only way I tihnk you have found me a viable way of filling up wagons though, even if I did have to fill the hopper up regularally.

Will

will

got to admire fenn end pit . sand can have its problems in a hopper if it gets damp. we use n guage ballast as stone . we didnt leave a access point under the loader which imho was a mistake need to sweep away the odd overspill without making a mess of the scenery (its amazing how often you miss)But try the sand by all means , we experimented with different materials until we decided on the best solution then fixed the loader to the layout.post pics of your progress be very interested how you get on phil

Fen end pit looks superb!

how did you make the dragline work? I'd like to see more info on that please.

I was thinking of using woodland sceinics buff ballast as sand as it looks fairly similar.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Hi Will

Sorry I'm arriving here a bit late and I see that you have been given several ideas already.

Have a look at Backwoods Miniatures http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/0n3kits.htm They have a few different diggers including 'Our new motorized ditcher features four motors and gearboxes to provide authentic load, rotate and dump actions. The price includes DCC chips or a custom controller.' However that does cost an awful lot of money :D

Also in 7mm Duncan Models have a Priestman Panther http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/picture_preistman_excavator.htm and a Priestman Dragline http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/picture_preistman_panther_dragline.htm

The magazine to look out for is Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review (what a long title!!) published by Roy Link http://www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com/ His front page shows his own layout called 'Sand and Gravel' !! and a google search has found a You Tube link

The layout was featured in several issues of the magazine. If this is the sort of thing you are looking for then I suggest you contact Roy for the back issues

Hope that helps

Mike

Cheers Mike for those links,

I have now decided to go for a hopper system that will be opperational. However Duncan Models have a large amount of Interesting detials that have me watering at the mouth many of the will be very useful for my project. :icon_drool:

Thanks for intoducuing me to that website.

Will

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mike for those links,

I have now decided to go for a hopper system that will be opperational. However Duncan Models have a large amount of Interesting detials that have me watering at the mouth many of the will be very useful for my project. :icon_drool:

Thanks for intoducuing me to that website.

Will

Happy to help

I'll have to ask Andy for a commission payment when I see him at the Shepton Mallet narrow gauge show in February :D

Mike :icon_wave:

Archived