If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How difficult would it be to get a boiler moved?

Jenny Emily

Sounds like you have the exact situation that the newer restrictions are meant to deal with.

Get it all checked very, very, carefully, especially where there is other evidence of DIY activity, plastering, drywall additions, or wall removal, and newer doorways, All these may have needed re-routed cables, and the guy responsible for the other stuff might have been active.

Make sure there are no power feeds to any bath room, it is lethal except in special waterproof feeds to suitable heaters.

Make sure all the house wall sockets are inspected for "live/ nuetral polarity" (in AC terms), earth and tighten all screws after inspecting the visible cable. Also re-tighten all cover screws etc., and any sockets expected to be out of use fitted with a blanking plug cover for child safety.

Trying without heating and hot water is not really on surely, and if a new boiler is being fitted then planning will enable a quick changeover in about a day, including testing the new gas piping etc, and testing the central heating.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Gas is the least of my worries, having had an electrician around for the last two days putting right the dodgy DIY electric additions we keep finding. It rather disturbed me to find that a rickety old shed with a leaking roof was wired for mains power and lighting, daisy chained off the carport's similar homemade affair which in turn wired back to a socket in the utility room where it shared a block style plug adapter with the boiler and the washing machine. All this was getting leaked on every time it rained in through the hole in the shed roof. We came to the conclusion that Heath Robinson must have lived here before me.

Other delights included a still live wall socket feed (bare wires in a hole in the plaster) behind a wardrobe that was connected back to a three pin socket rather than the lighting circuits and a three pin socket on the wall above the bath. For those moments when you really want to make toast whilst sitting in six inches of water. All has been put right now though.

Sounds like the house we bought before our present abode - over the years I found one socket which had no plaster above it, just wallpaper, so no wonder it only worked intermittently, wiring to the garage using micc which wasn't made off properly and had degraded inside the copper sheath and eventually blew under a good covering of snow and a daisy chained power socket where the earth hadn't been properly connected plus the original garage feed - which blew - had been cut into the power ring main without a separate switch and fuse.

The chap we bought the house from was a Safety Officer in a major nuclear facilityblink.gif

Archived