End to end layout

bairdnr

Hi guys, whenever I've asked a question everyone has always been so useful, but I'm stuck again. I'm trying to design a layout but I can never come up with anything that excites me through operating potential and I was wondering if someone could throw me some ideas, or doodle something together? I'm not asking anyone to do too much for me, but a quick sketch on MS paint would be A+! =)

Can I say what I want in my layout. I model in OO by the way, and my layout in a U shape, but the scenic piece is 8ft by up to 2ft (will cut it back to 1Ft minimum) and then the rest is corners and fiddle.

A station, one platform is enough (but two would be fine) but I want the rails to be closest to the edge for ease of uncoupling. It's meant to be pretty rural, like highland Scotland. As I run with a Class 37 generally and two coaches the platform needs to be 3 feet long. This also needs to have a run around loop.

I would like a fuelling point, and a siding to hold 4 tanker wagons. I would also like a siding for some sort of industry (parcels, coal? anything that somebody would think would be good given my space allowances).

End to end, terminus with run around, fuel stop and siding, and some minor freight facilities. If anyone can suggest me anything, or has any questions I'll be glad to help you how I can!

Many thanks!

Hi...you don't mention the actual, outside dimensions of the space available to you?

To maximise any operating potential, I suggest you make the complete U-shape area scenic....hiding the fiddle yard behind a narrow scenic area....thus you would have, a fiddle-yard-to-station main line, with a 'twig' from station back in front of fiddle yard [scenic]...creating some sort of industry? [twig-off-a-branch concept?]

A suggestion for the twig could be.....the fuel facility you're after..or, given your Scottish leanings, why not a timber transfer?

[or......even part of a 'Preserved' line...?]

Your traffic flows will never really be intense.....passenger trains in and out of main station....hardly intensive?

Then freight operations, from twig to main station [interchange],then off on main line.

Plus whatever traffic other than passenger, that can be generated from your station?

as an idea..using the KYle line as a basis, why not make your station part of a ferry terminal? This would give an excuse for increased traffic flows?

Alastair, thanks.

The layout is U shaped: Section 1 is 8ft x 2ft then the bit along the bottom is 2ft x 5ft and the last bit is 8ft x 1ft.

I could hide a two road fiddle behind the wall of a B&Q type building perhaps! Does that sound like a decent idea?

In my head, I can see the main station. And then the track runs round to the fiddle yard. And off the main line, there is a siding for an industry. Wouldn't really be that fond of timber, simply because the wagons are so big and I haven't a lot of space.

I don't know how a station would look but? That it might have interesting operating potential. The ferry idea is pretty good but how would I pass it off without a big ferry sitting there! I'm aware of Larne Harbour railway station in Northern Ireland: http://en.wikipedia....railway_station so maybe it is worthy of consideration.

I will check out what you say in your post ref the Kyle line.

Would a freight layout with a small passenger facility be good maybe even?

Please take a look at my attached plan, and slaughter it!=)

post-7680-12588934981394_thumb.jpg

I'd extend the run round loop, it's far too short. Double the length and take the sidings off it, then it can be used for longer trains without requiring nore space.

The bit at the bottom of your plan - how would it be worked in real life? By the train crew of one loco/train - in which case you have the usual problem with kickback sidings - or a special yard shunter - in which case given the time, expense and trouble of having them around, make the yard bigger to justify your little people's existence/wages...

Re ferries, use a photo/series of to show one on the backscene. If you model part of one it'll look funny and if you try to model a full one, you'll spend forever and a day on it...

The bit at the bottom of your plan - how would it be worked in real life? By the train crew of one loco/train - in which case you have the usual problem with kickback sidings - or a special yard shunter - in which case given the time, expense and trouble of having them around, make the yard bigger to justify your little people's existence/wages...

I must say, that's the sort of logic I've been applying to my layout designs. I try and think 'what's the purpose of x' because why bother having it otherwise. Some of my sidings are a certain length to fit a whole 168 DMU into the depot, something they do locally here. I suppose just try and think how it'd be done in real life. Similarly, work on the basis of thinking what your little railway company is trying to accomplish, and lay things out from that. If you say had a station each end, and you also need freight, then you have a good idea of what's needed to be carted back and forth. I'm no layout planner, but it does bring some sanity, otherwise you could go mad and cram in tons of useless sidings and tracks. I suppose it also depends if you're going for realism, creating some sort of shunting puzzle, or just something inbetween.

From the passenger POV the old Strathpeffer branch would suit, and I'd suggest some sort of forestry loading from a hardstanding beside a siding would probably be about the limit. but whatever it is the traffic isn't going to be heavy. You could also have distillery traffic being pulled into the station from a kickback siding disappearing behind a bank and trees - no need to model it - just have the top of the building showing above the trees as a scenic flat. Those would then be made up and depart as a goods train

Thank you to everyone for your comments. With all this in mind I think that there are quite a few problems. I've quickly thrown together something else that I had in mind which I have attached. I have attempted to detail it.

The smaller station would be served solely be DMU's which would be 3 car at most. Run around loop is much bigger as was suggested, good call on that. Have removed some of the sidings and added a fuel point. I'm now pretty happy with the stations and fiddle yard but does anyone have anything to add that I've overlooked as an inexperienced modeller.

I quite like my freight yard: but I'm not sure that it is complete. Don't want to have more than 2 roads for 'unloading' but is there any suggestion to the plan I've got? Feel free to steal it and rub out and stuff!

Thanks again and I look forward to everyones input! =D

post-7680-12589150374541_thumb.jpg

Hi.......regarding the separate siding area [in front of the fiddle yard]...... ?

Thinking back nearly 50 years to John Charman's Charford branch..........I'd be inclined to actually have the 'twig' running from the terminus station area.....rather than coming straight off the main line.

Charford had a 'branch-off-a-branch' [[twig?] in this manner, with the branch train on it's own tracks right into Charford station.....more or less.

This then isolates the twig, running-wise...opening up the opportunities for, perhaps, private shunters, interchange sidings [at the station]....and avoids having to foul the 'man line' when working those remote sidings.

Regarding the 'main' line....the line from Kyle traverses a tight , shaply-curved rock cutting....ideal opportunity to disguise that sharp curve?

Regarding the ferry connection?

why model a ferry? I'm sure CalMac wont mind if you ignore them just this once?

Kyle can be modelled, cut in half,lengthways.....it has been done, on a minimum space layout..[Jack will know the one?]

Sounds to me like you should consider the track plan at Fort William.

That would give you the odd sprinter to run, and then the class 37 on sleeper traffic. If you wanted to back date it then you could run locos and coaching stock, add that the Jacobite special runs on the mainline and that theres an EWS depot around the corner, you could model those too. There is freight with the Alcan traffic and could use modellers licence for timber again too.

Have one line as your main to Glasgow, shooting away from the station to go to a scenic break, like bridge or tunnel and then disapear behind a board along the wall. A spur line could then go along the front of your scenic section where theres a staion just outside FW or model the canal, or river bridge before then dispearing to the main fiddle yard on the other side, which also is joined now from the line to glasgow, that has come under the scenery.

Just a thought?

Thanks again, and I have another effort that I would like feedback on. I want to stick with the second station, and the sidings coming off the mainline so that longer trains can be run into it. I have made use of the idea of a logs siding, though are there any RTR log wagons (I saw a Hornby one once, wasn't much good) or kits? Have solved the very tight curve, though it was as a result of my low end XTrack skills- I suck! I'm going to go without the sidings at the back, as I wouldn't be able to see them because of my loft and also that I want that curve to be quite plain: my idea was to create a river running underneath it by cutting away some of the board and just leaving the bit were the track is. I would attached a 1x2 section underneath and this would look like a riverbed after I decorate et al!

See attached picture and would appreciate peoples thoughts on it again. We will get there soon because I'm itching to get going! =)

post-7680-12590101586208_thumb.jpg

Archived