0 GAUGE PLATFORM BRICKS

PAUL WAYNE

HI CHAPS

I'M BUILDING THE 3DK SMALL BRICK STATION BUT I DON'T KNOW WICH PLATFORM BRICKS TO ORDER FROM SCALE SCENES

I'M DOING IN THE GW ERA BUT LATER ON IN THE 60'S SO I NEED THE RIGHT BRICKS FROM THE GROUND UP TO THE PLATFORM LIP AND MY PLATFORM IS GREY WITH A WHITE LINE DOWN IT

SO ANY HELP WOULD BE A GREAT HELP MANY THANKS PAUL THE YOUNGEST 0 GAUGE MODELLER AT 43

post-11153-0-74197100-1306338942_thumb.jpg

Dont really no what brick paper would be suitable as my layout has not progressed that far to be searching for that,

Im sure someone knows on here

Or ask at One of the O gauge shows.

Kristian

Dont really no what brick paper would be suitable as my layout has not progressed that far to be searching for that,

Im sure someone knows on here

Or ask at One of the O gauge shows.

Kristian

well i goto the kettering and reading shows i feel like the youngest guy there cos i'm surrounded by older guys only lol

and i worked on british rail down on the tracks from 84 to 88 i know just about all there is to know about railways but not the gw era there are lots of papers on scale scenes but i just can't decied what colour to pick so i hope someone out there can clear this up for me thanks for ya help anyway chap

• RMweb Premium

I'm no GW expert but platforms could be built of anything usually the local material that was available. They can be stone or brick. I would use whatever material the nearby bridges and buildings are made off. Normally if they were brick I think they would be in a style called English Bond. This has a full brick then another at right angles to lock to the next course, so it looks like a constatn repeat of full brick, half brick, full brick, half brick. In 7mm Slaters plasticard looks very effective, cut into strips as it has depth.

Jamie

Normally if they were brick I think they would be in a style called English Bond. This has a full brick then another at right angles to lock to the next course, so it looks like a constant repeat of full brick, half brick, full brick, half brick. In 7mm Slaters plasticard looks very effective, cut into strips as it has depth.

Jamie

I am not sure about this. English bond usually consists of one course laid with full bricks, with the next course laid with the bricks at right angles, showing as half bricks, which tie the two skins of brickwork together, with the next course full bricks and so on. Occasionally the half brick course is only every fourth one.

The description of full brick, half brick, full brick sounds to me more like Flemish bond, where the bricks on each course are laid in this manner. One of the latest model magazines has a short piece showing these bonds.

English bond is more likely than Flemish, but both were used extensively. A good photo of a suitable example for your location should clear this up, even a modern view, as many platforms have been little altered since Victorian times, apart from perhaps a few extra courses of brickwork to raise the level of the platform. I know of plenty of examples in Southern Electric commuter land where parts of the platform date back to 1880 and even earlier.

Archived