Taylor Terminal 5

Nick

Here is the trackplan for the scenic section. Board size is 72" by 15". Ignore the dimensions in xtrkcad, they are offset for the way I am building the baseboard.

TT5%202.jpg

The top left grain elevator has 2 car spots on each of the top 2 tracks. Don't plan on these being full all the time, second road could be used to store other cars if required (that is what I have seen happening on the Wichita Terminal at one of the elevators on the line).

Cement plant has 2 car spots on the bottom line, these are short cars anyway...

Scrap dealer has only enough room for 1 car at a time. Area around facility will be fenced to keep out the metal thieves!

By-products may sometimes be used as a corn syrup facility. 1 or 2 tank cars here...

The railroad office will be a small and old affair, possibly in a quonset type building. Area around it will be gravel parking lot for grain trucks and general overgrown "mess".

Top righthand corner is a tall warehouse flat that is not railroad served.

Bottom righthand corner is a small, irregular shaped warehouse that is rail served from the bottom right hand spur.

The two tracks at the top right of the plan go off-stage to the staging yard which extends another 5 feet for a total of 11 feet in length.

Boards will be built from luan plywood with styrene backdrop.

Power will be just about any commercially available 4 axle power, the Athearn SW1000/1500's or Atlas MP15DC's being the most likely and available power. Structures will be a mix of kitbash and scratchbuilt depending on time and availability. Track is Peco code 75 with blue point turnout control from the fascia side. Layout will be stored in my home office, on the shorter wall.

Will post more when there is something to show!

Nick

Brackets up in office. Scenic board and staging board built, backdrop styrene glued in, foam roadbed added. Area around roadbed filled with gatorboard to bring ground level up to foam to produce more "settled" and non-mainline looking track...

Issue - in my haste to clamp up the main scenic board, I managed to forget a clamp and ended up with a nasty bow in one end of the board by the elevator. As a result, I am having to reduce the roadbed thickness to N scale foam and will have to smooth out the surrounding area somehow, have not figured that bit out yet.

Pictures to follow later.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to install layout properly. Turnouts will be wired up and installed along with the rest of the track in the next couple of weeks. A couple of shots added as evidence of progress...

5_2.jpg

5_1.jpg

Looking good...

Could you please let lm know what material yoyu have used for the backscene. Is this the same as the shelf it is sat on?

It just looks really thick and I'm interested to find out what you have used.

Keep us all updated with regular photos of your progress

Andrew

Archived