Removing etched nameplates

Hi all, i have searched for this topic as im sure the question has been asked before.

I am looking to change my 37406 to a more local 37413 but will need to remove the Saltire nameplates i have fixed on with superglue, any ideas before I try to push a stanley blade behind it . I am going to replace the name with Loch Eli which I think is slightly shorter, but taller.

Thanks in advance

Leon

Guest baldrick25

Try acetone as a softener. It takes time to work its way underneath the plates , but they will release without damage, with care. Try to keep it off the paintwork, and use something like a sharp point dipped into the bottle to apply to the join between plate and body.

Guest baldrick25

A larger chemist often stock a small bottle. You need to ask where it is the store as they hide it in 'dark corners', because it just doesn't sell.

There is one alternative , and that is some of the nail varnish removers. Check on the label , looking for 'contains acetone ' and the % . At least 65% should work, albeit a bit more slowly than neat acetone.

One final suggestion is check what looks like multipak superglue packs. What looks like a second or third superglue is actually a softener/remover.

Guest baldrick25

I should just add , if you've not come across it before, it is a volatile solvent , like plastic weld solvents, so keep away from flames, and make sure there is some ventilation. The nail varnish remover is 30% water , with a bit of fairy liquid and perfumes, colours etc as well as the acetone, so doesn't evaporate so quickly, but the contents of the bottle will gradually get 'weaker' if you leave the cap off for a length of time.

Archived