Roundhouse (June 2011)

Tony_S

Thanks for the interest in Galatia.

As present I don't have that many decent photos to share but the ones I do have I've loaded onto Flikr for you enjoyment (?!?!?!?!?)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13460546@N02/sets/72157626705780835/

Galatia is an actual settlement in Kansas and, according to the relevant SPV rail atlas, was served by the ATSF as some. Although the line closed other local lines are still operated by shortline Kansas & Oklahoma. The back story for the layout is that the line has been sold on to the Meridian, Pacific & Eastern (fictional), who have managed to generate sufficient traffic to keep operating. Income comes from outbound seasonal grain movements and inbound agricultural supplies supplemented with ad-hoc traffic of cement, plastic pellets & food distribution. The railroad interchanges traffic with both BNSF & UP, via the K&O. Where margins are tight motive power is the “pre-owned†variety in the shape of a pair of GE 70 ton switchers supplemented with leased locos from their neighbours to cover maintenance.

In what seems to be a recent trend (from reading the latest Continental Modeller) I wanted a switching layout that wasn't the common urban setting, hence rural Kansas. The track plan was v simple with a main loop with a couple of spurs (team track and agricultural supply dealer) + a setback to access the grain elevator. Although I hadn't come across his work when originally designing the track plan I have applied Lance Mindheim's ideas on having multiple switching spots on a single spur in order to increase operational interest. Thus the agri dealer has has 3 spots - 1 for boxcars next to the loading bay door, one for covered hoppers and a slot for soya molases tank (cattle feed)

Overall size of the layout is 13ft x 22 inch, the dimension principally derived by what could be fitted into my Mazda 5 MPV. Construction is high density insulation foam desks with 6mm ply skin and 2x1 softwood sub frame. Control is via Digitrax DCC. At present switches are operated via a traditional control panel but the plan is to convert to over to DCC control and wireless WiFi control.

The layout is available for shows and normally travels in one car

Happy to answer to answer any questions that I didn't cover and will be posting some more (better) pics soon

Dan

Hi Dan

Excellent looking layout and rather inspirational, thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics!

With regards to 'rural' layouts, does this mean I'm now too late with my "New Ulm" C&NW?!?!

Cheers,

John E.

John

Glad you enjoyed the inital offering - I will def be doing some more pics in the future.

In terms of following the latest trend I'm prob too late with Galatia, but then again that's to do with spending 2 odd years getting it to state it's in today due to having a 3 year old son and a lengthy commute but mainly having a modelling attention span of a gnat with something else on it's mind...

The 'rural trend' comment was meant to be a little light hearted observation, nothing more. At the end of the day we all have end up modelling what 'get our juices flowing' otherwise there would be a lot of half finished projects around

Cheers

Dan

Archived