A challenge idea

matto21

I've been thinking about entering this years challenge since it was announced. Since stopping work on Talerddig I've been thinking about building a new layout but always put myself off because "I dont have the room for a layout at the moment" or "I haven't got the time" - sound familiar?!

Way back whenever I planned a layout it always used to be a town/city station with a couple of platforms, always hidden under a bridge/scenic break so only the platform ends were visible. After putting two and two together and coming up with five I thought "what if?"...

The below photos are a very crude attempt to illustrate my idea - these were thrown together in 10 mins so are nowhere near a final idea :lol:

post-3171-0-17539600-1306688068_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-06850600-1306688094_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-71260300-1306688164_thumb.jpg

Guest jonte

I've been thinking about entering this years challenge since it was announced. Since stopping work on Talerddig I've been thinking about building a new layout but always put myself off because "I dont have the room for a layout at the moment" or "I haven't got the time" - sound familiar?!

Way back whenever I planned a layout it always used to be a town/city station with a couple of platforms, always hidden under a bridge/scenic break so only the platform ends were visible. After putting two and two together and coming up with five I thought "what if?"...

The below photos are a very crude attempt to illustrate my idea - these were thrown together in 10 mins so are nowhere near a final idea :lol:

post-3171-0-17539600-1306688068_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-06850600-1306688094_thumb.jpg

post-3171-0-71260300-1306688164_thumb.jpg

Hi Matto

Glad to see your thinking of giving this a go.

I've often thought of modelling a snapshot of a city terminus in a small space, but as usual, it never got any further.

However, if I was going to attempt it, this is what I'd plump for:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/birkenhead_woodside/index.shtml

I'd set the scene so that the crossover was included in the foreground, but not the platform immediately in front which would obstruct the view and increase the width, and include everything between there and the rear retaining wall. You could use the lattice design overall station roof as a scenic break at one end and the road overbridge at the other. Plus there's a nice retaining wall at the rear to save agonising over the depth of a backscene. Just add platforms, track and a signal or two and with modellers license you've got yourself an almost exact replica of the real thing.

I've seen better pictures in books, however, can't reproduce them here I'm afraid.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Jonte

Hi Jonte, thanks for the info and the links - very useful!

To be honest I've not given this much time or thought since my original post but I still think the idea could work! See what happens anyway...:laugh:

Archived