Help needed

Hi guys, not really sure where to go for some help so trying here.

I took a lot of photos in the early 80s and didn't take many notes, well none actually!, most I can work out but these locations have me completely stumped, I'm pretty sure there in Wales and I suspect all from the same location, oddly whilst I do remember going to Eddw and Severn Tunnel I don't ever recall going to any other depots so these are new memories for me.

Anyway a link to the shots I'm trying to identify

Margam depot

56 041

56 xxx

37 xxx

I hope some one can help because its driving me mad not knowing where this is, its not Landore,Canton or Ebbw as far as I can tell and its certainly doesnt look like Severn Tunnel.

Kindest

Michael

Thanks guys, I'm fairly certain they are Margam but could not find corresponding shots of the depot to prove it, going by the roll of film there all the same depot I think and the last is almost certainly not Landore as Landores service shed is three road and this is two, the give away that it may be Margam are the big heaters along the sides of the shed, here's a view of Landore

47 xxx

and heres one from Edwards (shown for reference and all credit to original author) Flickr for Margam

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46793466@N06/4354287778/

you can see on Edwards view the long heaters at roof level and they match my 37 internal view. The only issue between Edwards and my external view is the access door to the side, his clearly shows two vertical long windows, mine does not, heres a close up of the door from another shot I took at the same time

37 242

37 231

I will keep digging and thanks for the info so far, I suppose I'm still looking for that 'smoking gun' proof that really nails this depot.

Kindest

Michael

• RMweb Gold

That one is very definitely Margam (and not Ebbw) - I can tell that from the signal in the background. That means the building which appears in the background of one of the 56 pictures is the one in the background here (and I think it wasn't there when I was last at Margam depot which was, I'm fairly sure, in 1972).

That one is very definitely Margam (and not Ebbw) - I can tell that from the signal in the background. That means the building which appears in the background of one of the 56 pictures is the one in the background here (and I think it wasn't there when I was last at Margam depot which was, I'm fairly sure, in 1972).

You can tell by the signal in the background!, thats incredible LOL, seriously, its amazing how we latch onto the smallest detail and know instantly where or what it is but seen in a larger view its often overshadowed, I think the gerneral view that it is Margam is accepted, whilst I cannot find exact replica views of the shed I've seen enough to know that it must be where it is.

What worries me most is that I do not recal ever going there, I do remember one Wales trip and walking for miles to get to a depot and I mean miles, a taxi driver took pity on us bedraggled youths on the way back and ferried us back to the station in two trips, we didn't have enough money for the fare so he took payment of a coffee and cake at the station cafe, awfully pleasant chap really. I remember going to Ebbw, Canton and Severn Tunnel etc but cannot ever recall Margam and Landore, I know its nearly 30 years ago but its frightening how I've completely forgotten about those locations and if it were not for the finding of these negative I'd never have remembered.

Thanks to everyone for their past and continued input, it is greatly appreciated.

Kindest

Michael

Archived