Hornby Pug

Blackthorn

These are rather hard to come by new, however I saw a weathered late crest one in stock in Frank Herrings craft store Dorchester about 7 weeks ago!?

If you wanted a new one it might be worth a call, if not there are several used ones on e-bay.

The plastic chassis/axle bearings makes them a little prone to wear and tear, and with four small wheels for pick-up, high mileage versions can be a little unreliable. I have a Dapol version which is now limited to static display waiting for a new chassis.

I wonder whether Hornby would re-release this model, they appear to be going for DCC ready with most new releases, and whilst this is a relatively simple DCC conversion, fitting a socket might not be viable for what is a somewhat elderly model.

N

Thanks Neal.

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open! I also have a Dapol version, it's never been used like the majority of the items I've collected over the last 10 years. One of these days I'll actually get around to building a layout!!

I was looking for one to convert to resembe a Peckett saddle tank, so as you suggested Ebay might be the way to go.

It last appeared in the 2006 catalogue and according to my friendly local model railway shop it was only a short run which disappeared almost as soon as it came out. I suspect it's one of those models which is so small and fiddly that Hornby prefer to use their production slots for something chunkier.

Pity, conversion to a Peckett was exactly what I had in mind myself

Archived