Fictional Tramway

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to build a Tram Layout. I've build layouts in the past for Normal Railway dare I may say. But, I'm wanting to have a go with a Tramway.

I've added a Plan below on paint as I can't get any program to work. If it isn't prototypical, please feel free to mention it to me so I can sort it out.

They are singular lines with passing places. I've given them colours so the Tramlines are light grey, the roads are dark grey and the red line is a main line running higher on a raised bit.

Thanks, Robert.

post-10812-0-15316300-1307099259_thumb.png

Thanks for your input Dutch Master.

I'm planning on building it in 00 Gauge.

There isn't really a size, it's just whatever is needed to make it happen.

''What am I trying to depict?'' What does this mean?

I'd like to create a busy atmosphere, but not to much, and hearing what you've said, it looks redicoulously busy. I'd like to it be a kind of Blackpool ish place, by the sea, with a kind of countryside is appeal on the edge but merging into the suburbs of a town. the yellow bit on bottom left is the sand and the sea, so that will be unused track hence there being a section missing to the trams derail if they accidecntly go there.

I'd like it to be modern, but with the old material trams, onces which are looking tired, so go slow, and cause breakdowns.

Maybe get hold of some reproduction route maps of old tramway systems (or contemporary maps) to get an idea of the relationship between suburban/town centre settings and route configurations etc (like where you're likely to find a single rather than a double track) and so on. Generally routes will follow only the busiest thoroughfares.

Or perhaps take a look at locations that fit your scenario on Google Earth or similar, observe the roads layouts and then imagine how a tram system would fit within that?

I think 'a busy atmosphere' can come as much from a number of trams following in close succession down the same line as it can from a complicated track plan.

Just a few thoughts - I'm not a tramway modeller except in my dreams - so I'll defer to any more qualified comments that may follow :yes:

Robert, just a few of my thoughts, hopefully constructive. There does seem to be a lot going on, which with some people is a bit of a bugbear with tramway modelling, at the end of the day they were built to transport people from A to B occasionally via C!

At the end of the day build what you want to, as it's for your enjoyment, but and again only my opinion perhaps something a bit less complicated with trams actually going from somewhere to somewhere?

Work out what your'e going to run as it will affect your minimum curve radius, you can probably get short wheelbase 4 wheelers down to about 4 in, bogie cars less so and modern articulated even less, there'd bew nothing more annoying than building something and finding you can't run what you want.

Hope that's a bit of help and not too much of a downer on your plans.

Thanks for all your comment, I've got room for 8 foot by 18 inches. So, looking at what i'd attacked earlier, I'd have to downsize considerably.

Would it be possible to fit:

A turning loop, a 4 road shed with 2 lanes for storage, a 2 lane platform and then a singular smaller line branching off in the space I have available. If Possible, I'd like to include some reasonably hard trackwork to make, but not to make it look like it's been plonked there.

Thanks, and I apologise for my noviceility.

Thanks for all your comment, I've got room for 8 foot by 18 inches. So, looking at what i'd attacked earlier, I'd have to downsize considerably.

Would it be possible to fit:

A turning loop, a 4 road shed with 2 lanes for storage, a 2 lane platform and then a singular smaller line branching off in the space I have available. If Possible, I'd like to include some reasonably hard trackwork to make, but not to make it look like it's been plonked there.

Thanks, and I apologise for my noviceility.

The 18 inch width means a loop using the full width available would be a miximum of 8 inch radius. That should be fine for 4 wheel cars and most bogie cars, but some bogies and most modern artics would struggle. (for reference, if I remember correctly Blackpool's Little Bispham loop works out at around 16 inch radius in 00)

The 8 ft length should be enough for a junction and a small depot without looking too crowded.

Paul

I've added a more reasonable Plan. It is drawn on Paint, but I've tried to make it easy as possible to understand. I think I have gotten the geometry of the corners right. Overall, it is 12' x 2.5'.

It looks more realistic. I endevour not to have to take the trams of the line during a show as they will all be on there, ever road has a continuous loop and there will be trams stationary off scene all the time.

Robert.

post-10812-0-25325900-1307182114_thumb.png

First thoughts: (Im assuming the thick line is a backscene/scenic break)

I like the idea of the depot roads disapearing through the backscene to give the impression of a larger depot than it really is.

The set up of the depot with one half being served from one direction and the other half from the other direction does resemble various prototypes, but I'm not sure about the entry roads to the two halves of the depot crossing over each other. I suspect a prototype system would try and avoid that complication if possible...

Not sure what purpose the line running across the centre of the loop at the right hand end serves.

Paul

I wasn't doing this for all the geometry of the track. I was doing this so I know what I want to do when I get the Track Software. I'll b building it up on trck Software so that will sort it all out, If something doesn't work, then i'll change it. This is purely to come up with a plan that works.

Archived