Bachmann 66

Harry27

My Bachmann 66200 is a lovly smooth model on both dc and dcc but it seems very slow on comparison with my Hornby class 60 I'm using a NCE power cab with lenz silver decoders any help would be great

Bachmann tend to do a fair job of gearing their locos so that maximum speed is well proportioned to a sclae representation of the prototype's maximum service speed. Hornby in my experience will typically do twice the prototype's maximum speed and often more. This difference is I suspect the likely reason for the difference you are observing. I usually end up with values in the range 110 to 150 in CV 5 using Lenz silver and gold decoders, in order to set a realistic maximum speed on Hornby models; whereas with Bachmann models the CV5 value is usually left at factory default of 255.

I have found that with my Freightliner 66. Very smooth, and is very slow, compared to all of my other engines. Bachmann have done a good job getting their sheds to the same sort of gear ratio as the real ones. The reason they are slow though, is that they were designed to be able to go very slow at notch 1 on the throttle, specially for engineering trains so they can move very slowly along the track.

Archived