Stanley- West Yorkshire Photos/Info Required

In partnership with a work collegue I'm looking to build a layout based on Stanley Station. This is Stanley West Yorkshire and formed part of the Methley Joint line. Famous for being part of the roobarb triangle!

We can find quite a few photos of the station, which includes both platforms the main building, small shelter and also the signal box. However we have only a poor photo of the goods shed and cannot find anything at all of the goods yard that was behind the station and featured some kind of coal loading area. We guess this is just some kind of raised concrete loading platform.

Any info would be greatly appriciated.

This website might jog someones memory: Stanley History Online

Depending upon how much of the area you are going to model it might be an idea to Look at the East & West Yorkshire Union Book as this railway linked at Stanley Newmarket colliery (located next to J30 on the M62).

Have you tried either Wakefield or Leeds libraries as they have books on local railways? There should be a copy of the E&WYUR book in Rothwell library, I know I have borrowed it.

There are various structures still in existence if you follow the line in the area.

• RMweb Premium

If you are in the wakefield area come down to the model railway club, there are several members who either live in the area or have plans for a model of Stanley. If you PM me I can give you details.

Jamie

We're not modelling too much of the area, mainly the station area and its immediate yards along with Mount Road Bridge and maybe using Baker Lanes' bridge as a scenic break though it will have to be a bit closer to the other one than in real life! Layout is being built in N and will probably have about 10 feet of scenic area.

My colleagues', another Mark, parents live in Wakefield and his uncle actually drove the line but cannnot recall what the yard was like.

We have some present day pictures but most of the area around the station is now built on and indeed the line which ran to the west of the station has been filled in. Mount Road bridge as it is now: Link

Thanks for the offer Jamie, we already some plans of the station and the track diagram thanks to Railway Modeller. Will probably have to wait until late August before we can get to Wakefield again due to work. Will PM a bit nearer the time.

• RMweb Premium

We meet on Monday and Friday evenings and you will be very welcome. In the meantime I will ask around for you at the club and try and get some ,aterial together for you.

Jamie

Archived