What's the Point.?

Sam '43003' Tanner

Looks very similar to a little project I had going a few years ago - Nutbrook. It was just a plank with a single line running through it. It was great fun to build.

It's amazing what you can do with a plank of wood and some flexitrack! I'd be interested to see what you can make...

Mike

That's nice, Mike. I had originally intended to make a small shed for a trackmobile for one of Carl Arednt's last competitions before his un-timely passing. In the shed, out the shed. It fit, nd would have been something different, but I want something more different.

I just don't know what. :laugh:

I've found an old attempt at planning something in 7mm Narrow Gauge, 14mm to be more specific.

This got me wondering..

In 1883 Magnus Volk opened a short 2ft gauge electric railway running for 1â„4 miles (402 m) between Swimming Arch (opposite the main entrance to Brighton Aquarium, and adjacent to the site of the future Palace Pier) and Chain Pier. Electrical power at 50 V DC was supplied to the small car using the two running rails [2]. In 1884 the line was extended a further ½ mile beyond the Chain Pier to Paston Place, and regauged to 2 ft 9 in (838 mm). The electrical supply was increased to 160 V DC and the power plant was installed in the arch built into the cliff face at Paston Place. In 1886 an off-set third rail was added to minimise current leakage, and the gauge was reduced to its current 2 ft 8 1â„2 in (825 mm).

What if the Volk's Electric Railway didn't revert to the current gauge and continued as a 2ft gauge line.? So I did a little searching on Flickr and came up with this image by our own 'cornelius'..

2946890703_ddc622f1a0_z.jpg

Foot crossing by fairlightworks, on Flickr

It will give me a good chance to practice some basic track construction skills and the shingle beach should be fun to replicate. I'm just glad we don't have to display stock on the diorama. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived