LMR J94 Brussells

This is my rendition of the Longmoor Military Railway's J94, No. 118 Brussells.

I have tried to represent the loco as was towards the end of her life at Longmoor.

post-6694-0-98694500-1307223456_thumb.jpg

post-6694-0-42642000-1307223479_thumb.jpg

Bought in parts are the buffer beams, (RT Models etch), with Gibson buffers added, Westinghouse pump (Gibson), and the nameplates (yet to be added, along with the lining, both by Modelmaster).

Everything thing else is from the scrapbox: The air tank is off a Heljan Clayton Mk1 chassis, the headlamp is from a Craftsman Lima 50 detail kit and the steam pipe to the pump is a Wills drainpipe!

Next on the list is to add a Stones Generator between the dome and whistle and wire it up before lining and lettering (with Cambridge Custom Transfers LMR Sheet).

Cheers

Phil

Generator (Thanks to RT Models) is now on and "wired" up.

However, having some trouble with the pipework on the top of the bunker, wondering if anyone could help with pointing in the right direction in terms of photos etc?

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

The only photo I have ever seen that clearly shows the top of the bunker on Brussels was in Steam World, July 1981. The article by Barry Buckfield was on the failed preservation scheme at Longmoor and the photo was taken by Dick Weisham. A Google search showed that Dick Weisham was involved with the East Somerset Railway around 1980 but there is nothing more recent than that. The photo in the magazine is probably good enough for your purposes. Another possible view by R. Gadsdon is on Flickr. A search for Brussels Longmoor on Google Images will produce this and a number of photos.

The difficulty in modelling Brussels is the changes that occurred during its later years at Longmoor. The only safe way is to work from dated photos, avoiding the one in Ronald and Carter’s book which is an “artist’s impressionâ€. One other issue is obtaining suitable cast brass numbers as carried on the buffer beams.

If I can help with any more detail, please post or PM me.

Tony

Phil,

The only photo I have ever seen that clearly shows the top of the bunker on Brussels was in Steam World, July 1981. The article by Barry Buckfield was on the failed preservation scheme at Longmoor and the photo was taken by Dick Weisham. A Google search showed that Dick Weisham was involved with the East Somerset Railway around 1980 but there is nothing more recent than that. The photo in the magazine is probably good enough for your purposes. Another possible view by R. Gadsdon is on Flickr. A search for Brussels Longmoor on Google Images will produce this and a number of photos.

I'm guessing that that picture is this one?

The difficulty in modelling Brussels is the changes that occurred during its later years at Longmoor. The only safe way is to work from dated photos, avoiding the one in Ronald and Carter’s book which is an “artist’s impressionâ€. One other issue is obtaining suitable cast brass numbers as carried on the buffer beams.

If I can help with any more detail, please post or PM me.

Tony

I've already found that one out the hard way! I'd got a completely made bunker extension complete with ladder and filler cap made, then looked at the photo again to realise it was either very late in career or a preservation addition :) Moral of the story? Always check dates on photos!

I do beleive that the caption on that photo is slightly innaccurate though, as it refers to:

Later fitted with a Westinghouse pump located in a recess near the front of the tank

which I think that the loco had lost it at some point before the photo, as there looks to be a rivetted patch on the front of the tank where the pump recess is/was?

I had already seen that photo, what I'm trying to work out is the filler arrangement and the orientation etc of the two pipes that are just visible on the "top" of the bunker.

Cheers anyway

Phil

Phil,

The photo in Steam World is different. It is of Brussels being loaded onto a low-loader at Liss in 1971, probably taken from the watertower. Therefore it shows the top of the bunker more clearly. There is a filler cap on the left hand side on a square plate by the top of the ladder and a central pipe going into the rear of the cab. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Dick Weisham’s original negative as this should have all the information?

The Westinghouse pump was fitted in 1958 but was taken off at times and there was a removable section of plating at the front of the tank to fill the gap. It was definitely off in late 1963 and the gap was plated over. In some other photos, you can see the brackets that the plate could be fitted to.

The ladder must also have been fitted in 1958 as it would have been very difficult to reach the filler cap without it.

Brussels was withdrawn in April 1967, probably soon after appearing in the Morecombe and Wise film, The Magnificent Two. It was said that they did not have enough fuel oil. The loco was said to be unpopular due poor steaming and a tendency to run out of water. It also caught fire on occasions.

Tony

Hi Phil,

Brussells is now preserved at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, albeit in non-operational condition, and can be viewed in the Exhibition Shed at Oxenhope station. I work on the KWVR and I'm sure if you were to ask a member of staff they'd be happy to let you crawl all over the loco to take measurements etc. Because of space and lighting restrictions this is the best photo I can get...

post-9324-0-67468500-1308149918_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Will

Hi Phil,

Brussells is now preserved at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, albeit in non-operational condition, and can be viewed in the Exhibition Shed at Oxenhope station. I work on the KWVR and I'm sure if you were to ask a member of staff they'd be happy to let you crawl all over the loco to take measurements etc. Because of space and lighting restrictions this is the best photo I can get...]

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Will

Cheers Will. There was another (I think a workbench) thread that I had somewhere on here (may have been the old forum) that someone else from KWVR had seen, and uploaded lots of detail shots for me. However, my biggest problem is that the loco has had lots of small details changed regularly...!

Didn't have a decent side on shot though, thanks!

Cheers

Phil

Archived