Updating the blog

Tim Hale

Three wagons have arrived for the project, all require rebuilding to varying degrees of complexity, the attraction is to build rather than just buy something and with the RTR costing almost £100, it will be cost effective to use older models which just need 'fixing-up'

Here is the first, it is a Rivarossi open - nice chunky wagon with a lovely chassis;

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0267a.jpg

Hi Tim....it seems Rivarossi produced this wagon [wagen?? Vagen??] lettered for the railways of a number of countries?

I have been 'collecting' [spur]O wagons and vans...and, it appears, looking at my storage shelves, quite a few [well, 3, but they are big] bogie tankers...for some time now.....to give my severely altered Lima shunter [Kof....or should I say 'cough?'] something to shuffle about when I get a plank sorted...

Like you, I am not prepared to pay what I consider 'silly' prices for stuff....[car? O gauge wagon? Car? O gauge wagon?...oh, the car..and its brakes, wins every time..]...so I get what I can, when I can...a fiver here, a tenner there...

I have two Rivarossi opens.....like yours, but one is a bit more of a red oxide-red , lettered for DB....and a green one lettered for Belgian railways...

The DB one is marked up for Omm55...

Is the moulding of a German prototype, then?

I also found a Pola Maxi Om21 open...nice spoked wheels as well....but quite the largest diameter axles I've ever come across...

Of course, the 'big issue' with these models is one of 'actual scale?'

This I can see when comparing a Rivarossi [interfrigo] Insulated van....with similar from Lima..... the Lima one being around 5 mil shorter, and narrower...

The Lima bogie [gas?] tankers are another story entirely........

More please??

• 4 months later...

Archived