I found a local supplier of rail and PCB sleepers

dajt

Hi all,

I was looking to purchase rail and PCB sleepers and didn't like the look of the prices getting them to Australia from the UK.

Searching around I found http://www.woodsworks.co.nz/ who were able to supply 100 metres of code 75 BH rail, 1000 PCB sleepers, and some PCB turnout timber material for a great price. I reckon it cost about 1/2 of what it would have coming from the UK.

They cut the sleepers to order, to your requested dimensions, and can pre-gap them too.

My package arrived today and I am very happy with the result. The pre-gapping will save a lot of time.

Highly recommended.

Regards,

David Taylor.

• 1 year later...

David

Many thanks for this tip - I bought some copperclad strip late last year and it is excellent.

I use copperclad strip to build point work in 7mm scale - I raise the rail using either Slaters rivets or small pieces of 1mm brass strip (especially useful at crossings, etc).  These days I simply gap the sleepers with a small grinding disc and you can "feather" the edge so that once painted the gap is barely noticeable.  Admittedly not as nice as timber sleepers but extremely strong and reliable.  The photo shows pointwork from copperclad sleepers while all plain track uses timber and rivets.

post-4704-0-63124900-1358642343_thumb.jpg

Regards

Graeme Lewis

Archived