Jouef BR MK3 Coaches

Hi All

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Jouef MK3 coaches? Are they scale length? What type of couplers?

Any thoughts or opinions on them?

Reason for asking is that a friend of mine has offered me a trains worth of coaches at a reasonable price.. was wondering if they are worth the investment, or if I should pass and invest in some Hornby (correct length) ones instead.

Thanks in advance!

They are very good considering their vintage, certainly better than the Lima ones in the glazing department. The pizza cutter wheels let them down, although with a bit of inginuity, Bachmann disc brake wheelsets can be fitted. The raised moulding lines are also noticeable.

I've got a buffet car, which is numbered as an HST trailer but the roof detail is that of a loco-hauled coach. It is scale length, and it has a standard coupler on one end and just a small loop on the other. I'm not sure exactly what others they did, but it certainly included open carriages and some were numbered as loco-hauled stock.

They are still the only Mk3a carriages (mk3a being loco-hauled stock) which have the correct roof detail. All the Hornby and Lima ones are HST trailers although they have on occasion numbered them as loco-hauled stock.

Archived