SCHNELLENKAMP

bbishop

Guys,

I have acquired a couple of wagon kits from a German firm by the name of Schnellenkamp. The order was placed electronically from a somewhat quirky website (some pages would accept a Google translation, others required my very scruffy German). Payment was not required with the order, the Post Office delivered a box containing the kits and an invoice. This is typical of a German small business - good service, a trust in humanity and a dislike of credit cards. I now must incur a £25 charge to transfer the money.

The kits are for a Klappdeckenwagen (K 06) and a Kohlewagen (O 02), which approximately translate to flapcover wagon and coal wagon. They come complete with wheels and transfers and I ordered them with Lenz couplings. There are illustrated instructions in German: TonyA has translated these and I'm refining them as I build the wagons. This is pretty slow as there are alternative parts and we need to confer with Tony's copy of Güterwagen Band 3 by Carstens and Diener, published by Miba.

I'll inform you of progress and no doubt Tony will take some pictures. Certainly, German wagon kits make a change after more than fifty 7mm kits of British prototypes.

Bill

Guys,

A quick update! I've started on the O gauge Klappdeckelwagen. TonyA translated the instructions into English and provided relevant pages from the Güterwagen book (the latter of course for research purposes only). I am reworking the instructions into a working copy and drafting a review or the Gauge O Guild Gazette This will identify where I have ignored the Schnellenkamp instructions.

The Klappdeckelwagen looks a bit like a British salt wagon, but was more common in Germany than over here . Initially it was used as an intermediate between an open wagon and a van, for goods such as salt or lime. The kit is for a Prussian K 06 which were extant between 1892 and 1966. I have placed the part built wagon between my keyboard and monitor so can look at it whilst I type - you won't see it until TonyA has taken some piccies. But two jottings. I was surprised the metal wheels were expected to run in the plastic axleboxes, so I drilled out the axlebox and fitted brass tubing to act as a bearing. Then the attachment of the various steps appears to rely merely on a dab of alaldite, ok for a showcase model but not for one expected to survive the rough and tumble of the exhibition circuit. Varios solutions including soldering steps together or soldering to scrap etch; the aim being to increase the area to which glue can be attached.

I hope TonyA will publish piccies later in the week and I will post the instructions and review sometime in the future.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

As requested, here are the photos. However, as this is my first attempt at doing it, please excuse me if it all goes pear shaped.

post-11270-0-33287700-1309547132_thumb.jpg

post-11270-0-54918400-1309547152_thumb.jpg

post-11270-0-34146800-1309547171_thumb.jpg

post-11270-0-63537800-1309547184_thumb.jpg

I will leave Bill to add the comments.

Tony

Thanks Tony. There are two shots of the Klappdeckelwagen, now finished, and two of the Kohlewagen. This is an O 02 wagon and is part built. I've put some of the parts beside the wagon.There are four rails which go under the buffers and two shunters hand rails. Tony has done quite a bit of research and there are definitely two ways of attaching these rails. Either on the end of the wagon or on the side, sticking out at approximately 30 degrees. There is a casting of the two catches to hold the door lever and a blob which is a guide for the lever. There are actually six each end.

I will show the two wagons in their present state at the CMRA modellers day at Watford on 9 July, before finishing the O 02. Then more piccies from Tony.

Bill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Bromley group of the German Railway Society set up my Spur Null test track last night. We ran the two Schnellenkamp wagons, along with some Lenz stock. Everything stayed on the track, which is amazing given the degree to which the test track has warped. However we were too involved with putting the GRS to rights to think of photos. Maybe next time.

Schnellenkamp have just brought out working point lanterns in Spur Null, which could be useful for those not using Lenz trackwork.

Bill

Archived